iGage IG8

Community Forums

Full circle?  

RSS

Stacy Carroll
(@stacy-carroll)
500+ posts Member
December 5, 2018 4:11 pm  

Charles Elam, Ga PLS #968 was a highly respected Surveyor statewide, even nationally. He lived and practiced one county South of home. The crew found one of his line pins today. Years ago I acquired his personal instrument that he used on his experiments. I need to take the old GTS301 out to shoot one of the "azimuth pins" he set. Is that full circle?

IMG952018120595091843

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose

ReplyQuote
Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)
1,000+ posts Member
December 6, 2018 3:41 am  

Charles was a true "Renaissance Man".  Somewhere I've still got one of the plastic templates that he devised for scaling latitude and longitude from quad sheets.  We used those for calculations in solar observations.  He was way ahead of most of our profession and the quality of his work showed it.

Andy

ReplyQuote
Stacy Carroll
(@stacy-carroll)
500+ posts Member
December 6, 2018 5:03 am  

When I was a young crew chief, I stopped in to see him one rainy day while researching nearby. About 3 or 4 hours later, I walked out of his office feeling like I had been to college. He explained his "freestation" or resection routine and showed me his personal instrument (the old GTS 301) that had only been used by him testing his routines. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose

ReplyQuote
Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)
5,000+ posts Member
December 6, 2018 5:43 am  

You definitely have to close the horizon on that observation if you intend it to be "full circle".

Paul in PA

ReplyQuote
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts Member
December 6, 2018 6:08 am  

This is a good thread.  Makes me think of one of my mentors, who has passed on.  A couple actually.  There will be an auction sometime this year.  I plan to pick up something to help me remember.

Beer Leg dot com R O C K S ! !
If you find this forum valuable, then click here https://rplstoday.com/donate/

ReplyQuote
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register