Share:

For New Jersey collectors  

Page 2 / 3

Field Dog
(@field-dog)
250+ posts
Posted by: @nate-the-surveyor

I love these old instruments.

It is a nice instrument. The built-in compass is certainly a plus for section corner certification. The first instrument I was trained on was one of these, although it may have been a newer model. I couldn't believe an instrument like that was still being used in 1988. Our office had three of these, but only one had an optical plummet. Setting one up with a plumb bob on a windy day wasn't easy. We did a lot of construction stake-out, so there was usually a piece of plywood lying around that I could use to block the wind. The biggest mistake I made using the instrument was turning an angle to check a formboard. I read the vernier to the left instead of to the right, or vice versa. It wasn't an obvious mistake because the angle was close to 180 degrees. That year, in April, 3 party chiefs quit because their work load kept increasing, and they were expected to keep up. The transits were replaced by Topcon GTS-3 total stations. I had to use a Wild T16.

paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts

I've got a butt load of old instruments.  I'm sad to say I used almost every one of them, or one just like them.  I've seen many, many old instruments and that one is a real cherry.  The case doesn't look too scratched and there are no signs of wear on any of the knobs or barrel that I can see.  The brass has a nice patina.

I'm going to guess that instrument had a cushy life in a closet or under some old engineer's desk.  Quite a specimen for a collector.  Too bad it's sold already. 

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @paden-cash

I've seen many, many old instruments and that one is a real cherry.

For the benefit of those who come to this thread in the future, here are the photos of the instrument and case from the eBay listing:

t

t

t

t

t

t

t

t

2xcntr
(@2xcntr)
250+ posts

I watched that listing for some time. As I recall, he had it at $200 then $175. It truly was a cherry. 

Sad part of the listing was that it was his dads. Seems a shame to me that  circumstances  led him to basically give it away.

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)
2,500+ posts

Natester, the only antique surveying thing I have is me. Always traded in the old stuff. 😎 

Page 2 / 3