File folder aggravation
We used to keep our projects by facility name in a Survey Data folder only the Surveyors can access. That was great. It still exists.
So at some point the wheels decided to have everything (Engineering, Ar-k-muh-tecks, and Surveyors) in folders by facility name in a Facilities folder. I don't like it. Look Surveyors don't mess with each others stuff, right? But now you have all these other "professionals" going in and messing with stuff. So I rebelled and went back to the old way then I just put the finished DWG file in their folder.
I have one old project, finished long ago, that is in their folder because that was before I rebelled. Someone keeps changing my Project named folder to "CADD" and my AutoCAD folder in there "CADD." Annoying. I have folders named by the program's stuff that's in there, like TBC and StarNet and Field Data and Excel, etc.
So I just went in once again found stupid changing going on so I renamed my folder "Quit changing the name of my folders thank you very much." We will see if that helps.
grampa's grumpy on a Monday....
"GET OFF MY LAWN!"
I love being a surveyor - we all get so grumpy about things like this 😄
When I was a state employee all the surveyors there were required to archive our data files on the mainframe. And as you can imagine people in other departments were always getting in there an mucking up everything. Usually it was the folks in the design department screwing with the .dgn and .asc files.
There were plenty of files in there with weird extensions like all our Ashtech data. I noticed if the perps didn't recognize the file extension, or couldn't open it, they left it alone. I devised a code to rename our files by simply shifting the letters in the file extension one letter back, or possibly forward. A .dgn file was renamed ".cfm" or an ascii file renamed as ".btd". It was easy enough in those days to rename the archived file back to its proper name after you grabbed it off the mainframe.
Our aerial branch would create these huge Intergraph (dgn) files of nothing but miles of contours on their clipper machines. The bridge division was always monkeying around with them looking at the hydraulic data. No one minded but they had a propensity to screw with them and save them back on the mainframe. I renamed the contour dgns to have a file extension of ".sff"...surface feature file. All they were was .dgn files, but nobody ever figured it out. They finally started asking us for the info. It was easy enough to grab the file and rename it before delivering it to them. And they kept their skinners away from our archived files.