Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Dog Repellant Experience?  

Page 5 / 5

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

(And yes, I did misspell "repellent" in the title.  Shame on me.)

Duane Frymire
(@duane-frymire)
1,000+ posts

Might get a bit warm in CA, but sweat doesn't hurt as much.

https://www.euro-joe.com/EN/shop/group-404/Civil-protection

And for those really strange jobs.

https://www.bite-pro.com/

Gary
 Gary
(@gary_g)
50+ posts

First month as a rodman, dog growling and barking, older lady, " oh don't worry, suzie doesn't bite" Party Chief, "I know lady, dead dogs don't bite"  Never saw that dog the rest of the job.

3 Replies
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)

5,000+ posts

@gary_g

I've been bitten twice, the first time was one of those "he doesn't bite"  that got me on the thigh and drew blood.  The owners weren't around, but I reported the dog to County Animal Control, who did the quarantine thing.  The second time was by an Australian somethingorother owned by an angry landowner who just stood there while his yapping mutt snuck around behind me and nipped me on the calf.  No damage done, but no so much as an apology from the owner, either.

paden cash
Supporter
(@paden-cash)

10,000+ posts

@jim-frame

I've got four "Australian somethingorothers" and they are hard-wired to bite the meaty backside of any lower leg. Even the guy that feeds them.

If I'm heading into the kitchen to feed them and I'm not moving fast enough one of them nips me.  A few times I was foolish enough to stop, turn around to ask which one bit me...they all just look at me like I'm stupid..but when I turn back around I get bit again as punishment for stopping!

I guess I'm just use to it.

dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

@paden-cash

They have you trained!

X-PAD Ultimate from iGage

Frank Willis
(@frank-willis)
500+ posts

NOTHING will stop a mad pit bull.  And they are quicker than you can swing a ditch blade.  I believe you'd have to kill one before he latched onto you to avoid serious injury.

1 Reply
dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

@frank-willis

If bear spray stops a charging Kodiak (which it has done many times), it might work on a pit bull. A trained K-9 police dog could be a different story, since they work in a pepper spray environment. 

In fact, many consider pepper spray to be superior in effectiveness than a firearm when dealing with bears (and dogs, I imagine). 

• Less training required to be safe.
  • More likely to actually use pepper spray.
  • You dont end up with a wounded bear.
  • Easier to get a constant spray on target under pressure.
  • No dead bear to deal with.
  • Less legal issues to deal with.
Page 5 / 5
Scroll to Top