Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Dog Repellant Experience?  

Page 1 / 5

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

I had a close call today when a pair of large German Shepherd-mix dogs showed up when I was about 150' from my truck.  I was on their property so they were understandably protective, but there were no people around to call them off.  While not super aggressive, they were barking and circling closer to me, one in front of me and one behind.  It occurred to me that if they attacked I'd be toast.  Fortunately there was a downed branch about 6 feet long nearby, and I was able to use it to keep them at bay as I slowly made my way back to my truck.

The job I'm working on requires my to visit a couple of hundred wells on private property, so I can expect more of this.  I'm thinking that I ought to have some spray repellent with me.  Any recommendations?

37 Replies
2 Replies
Adam
 Adam
Supporter
(@adam)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: @jim-frame

I had a close call today when a pair of large German Shepherd-mix dogs showed up when I was about 150' from my truck.  I was on their property so they were understandably protective, but there were no people around to call them off.  While not super aggressive, they were barking and circling closer to me, one in front of me and one behind.  It occurred to me that if they attacked I'd be toast.  Fortunately there was a downed branch about 6 feet long nearby, and I was able to use it to keep them at bay as I slowly made my way back to my truck.

The job I'm working on requires my to visit a couple of hundred wells on private property, so I can expect more of this.  I'm thinking that I ought to have some spray repellent with me.  Any recommendations?

I have used the Dazer with luck. You have to start it before the dog is within bushaxe range obviously, but it will keep them at a distance if used in time.

https://rplstoday.com/community/general-chit-chat/dazer-2-dog-protection/

christ lambrecht
(@christ-lambrecht)

1,000+ posts

indeed handy and small ... but some well trained and old dogs wil resist.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts
download
Dave Lindell
Supporter
(@dave-lindell)
1,000+ posts

Ammonia in a spray bottle. (Not diluted.)

xyHt Magazine -- Still absolutely free!

paden cash
Supporter
(@paden-cash)
10,000+ posts

I haven't tried any dog repellent in years.  Some time back I tried several over a period of time and none really 'repelled' a dog for any length of time.  I remember one that had ammonia and it stated on the bottle to "not get in your face or eyes"....so a crew member had to spray the poor rodman to see if it worked.  It did repel rodmen...but the only dog that got sprayed with it just sneezed, slobbered and shook his head...while still maintaining his ground and attitude.

The only one I remember that worked at all was a pepper spray that contained capsaicin.  While it was touted on the label for use on dogs and aggressive animals I think it was mainly distributed for human-repellent.  I did spray some on a stake and was going to touch it and test it on my person.  But the mist immediately wafted to my eyes and face....test over.  If I remember that one you would have had to been within about 5 feet to be effective...not a good proximity to a riled-up dog.  Never got to field test it on a dog.

My truck generally has a good supply (not too awfully old) of chicken bones wrapped up in paper sacks from the truck-stop fried chicken I'm so fond of.  I keep a bucket in the back for trash and there's always some in there.  Tossing chicken bones to protective dogs seems to settle them down quite a bit.  I haven't found a dog yet that doesn't appreciate a bone now and then...and most of them don't seem to mind the Louisiana hot sauce either. 😉

2 Replies
thebionicman
(@thebionicman)

2,500+ posts

@paden-cash

Chicken bones are a slow and painful death for many breeds. I held my best little friend as she died after getting one from the trash. 

We have jobs to do, but the dogs that live on private property also have a job and deserve respect. Most problems can be avoided by contacting occupants.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts

@thebionicman

Chicken bones, fish bones and any bone that will splinter are NOT good for dogs.  Beef and pork bones that have thick walls are good for chewing.  When the marrow is gone I stuff them with peanut butter and they fall in love with them all over again.

Andy

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @paden-cash

The only one I remember that worked at all was a pepper spray that contained capsaicin.

Known in British Columbia as Bear Spray.  It will make Grizzly Bears thoughtful. Should work on dogs. 

Page 1 / 5
Scroll to Top