Community Forums

Share:

DIY Clipboard mount for survey rod  

BeerLegJohnson
(@beerlegjohnson)
5+ posts

I've been doing a lot of construction staking lately and although it's not 100% necessary to carry around a stakeout plot with me, it certainly makes things easier. I hate fumbling around with it though, digging it out of my pocket and so on, whenever I get to a new point. For a while I was using a binder clip to fasten the sheet to the rod. That works okay, but the wind likes to knock it around. So, I looked online for a clipboard attachment. These attachment arms are kind of expensive and look heavy. I decided to make my own and only spent $15.51.

Materials:

machine screws #8 32 by 3/4 inch MA-509 - $0.97

flat washers #8 WA-565 - $0.97

Clipboard $1.88

Broom Gripper 17007-es Command brand $6.84

One Tie 4 pack TOT60008 $3.97

plus tax = $15.51

The assembly is pretty straight forward just look at the pictures, it works pretty good. Tell me what you think.

20190817 225209
20190817 225203
20190817 224731
20190817 224714

5 Replies
Tim V. PLS
(@tim-v-pls)
50+ posts

Nicely done.

For me, these days I send a PDF of the point plot to my phone, a Galaxy Note 9, and use that instead of a print.  With the stylus I can make notes on the PDF.

1 Reply
BeerLegJohnson
(@beerlegjohnson)

5+ posts

@tim-v-pls

Thanks Tim,

I have tried to use my phone like you do but find the screen to hard to see in the sun. When I get a new phone Ill look at the galaxy 9 and see if its any better than my phone. the clipboard is pretty handy for just holding the fieldbook when I'm doing boundaries and other things. 

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)
2,500+ posts

Does it hang onto the rod when yer diggin' around for stuff, or jabbing it into the ground for a shot?

1 Reply
Norm Larson
(@norm-larson)

500+ posts

@flga-pls-2-2

If it does, he can glue a piece of bicycle inner tube to the part and it will stop any movement.  It's what I do on the printed fittings, a side benefit is you can lessen the clamping force as well

Artie Kay
(@artie-kay)
100+ posts

Just Google 'pilot's knee board', you could carry a mobile office around on some of those! There's an arm board version as well.

:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil:
:oops: