Community Forums

Detail pole target height errors - how to avoid them  

RSS

fobos8
(@fobos8)
50+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 11:31 am  

Hi guys

I do a lot of house and garden surveys, picking up the topography for a architects who want to develop the site. I'd say on every survey I'll change the detail pole height (because of an obstruction) and forget to enter the new height on the data controller.  Doh!

How do you make sure you don't make this mistake?

Cheers, Andrew

ReplyQuote
Scott Ellis
(@scott-ellis)
1,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 11:37 am  

Well you can either have the range pole all the way down or up, that way at least you know it is either/or. However that is still difficult to keep up with and some shots may need to be in the middle of the all the way up or down.

The best way is just to slow down and take the extra step of changing the rod height in the data collector, also bring a field book and write down the point number and rod height everytime you change the height. 

Norman Oklahoma, Ethan, JPH and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Ethan
(@ethan)
5+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 12:29 pm  

Set the data collector to prompt you to enter the HR on every shot...it slows things down, but mistakes are rare.

ReplyQuote
Ken Salzmann
(@ken-salzmann)
250+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 12:40 pm  

I do a lot of those surveys too, and am constantly moving the prism up or down to be able to see it.  It has to become routine; you force yourself to remember.  Just like you remember to center the tribrach over the point, level the instrument, set zero on your backsight, and all the other things that you have to remember.  Just do it.

Ken

This post was modified 2 weeks  ago 2 times by Ken Salzmann

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

JBMO74 liked
ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 1:00 pm  

Set the data collector to prompt you to enter the HR on every shot

That might be okay for a handful of shots, but when you're collecting 800 points a day it's not a reasonable solution.  You'd probably end up with more bad rods from fat-fingering than from forgetting to change it.

This post was modified 2 weeks  ago by Jim Frame

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

ReplyQuote
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 3:12 pm  
Posted by: fobos8

Hi guys

I do a lot of house and garden surveys, picking up the topography for a architects who want to develop the site. I'd say on every survey I'll change the detail pole height (because of an obstruction) and forget to enter the new height on the data controller.  Doh!

How do you make sure you don't make this mistake?

Cheers, Andrew

Wait until it costs you enough time, money, and or grief.  Then you will learn to remember like we all have had to do over time.  I am afraid that this is just one of those “have to learn it the hard way” situations.  Although I do hope that I am wrong and someone will post a more helpful response than I have.  Sorry.

EDIT:  Excellent question, by the way.

This post was modified 2 weeks  ago by Brad Ott

Beer Leg dot com R O C K S ! !
If you find this forum valuable, then click here https://rplstoday.com/donate/

ReplyQuote

iGage IG8

lsitnj
(@lsitnj)
100+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 7:00 pm  

.. electronic device that detects the rh change and sends the info to the dc. I'm surprised that nobody invented something like this yet... or voice to text interface..

ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 8:10 pm  

Then you will learn to remember like we all have had to do over time. I am afraid that this is just one of those “have to learn it the hard way” situations.

FWIW, whenever I realize that I've taken some shots with the wrong HR, I immediately put a note in the raw data file identifying the scope of the problem as best I can recall.  Having some idea of when the problem started and ended helps narrow down the corrective action once back in the office.

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

Ken Salzmann liked
ReplyQuote
fobos8
(@fobos8)
50+ posts Member
October 11, 2018 11:15 pm  

I have the data collector fixed onto my pole just below where the height marks readings are on the pole. I always try to have the readings facing me as I data. So my aim is to keep looking at the height as I'm entering data.

I still screw it up though!

ReplyQuote
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register