Community Forums

Share:

Daycare survey  

Page 2 / 3

Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts

I really had high hopes that this thread was gonna be more fun.  Come back and tell us stories once the job is done.

😉

2 Replies
chris mills
(@chris-mills)

250+ posts

Try lifting drain covers when the kids are around. Be sure to let them see what floats past.

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)

2,500+ posts

You can tell them that they are seeing the elusive endangered brown darter fish. 😜 

Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts

This old beer leg photo just popped up on my screensaver:

7987D500 8671 4E34 9849 735AC1B5E10E

jflamm
(@jflamm)
20+ posts

I'm laser scanning several YMCA's in the area.  Inside and out.  Summer camps are in full swing.  They are giving me a 3 hour window on field trip days to get what I can get done on the interior.  I knocked the first one out in parts of two days.  It went rather well actually.  The ladies' locker room took a little more coordination to get through.

Daniel Ralph
(@daniel-ralph)
500+ posts

I was asked to survey a school for the deaf once and they required that we have certification (our State Patrol does this)  that we were not sex offenders. Odd but I had such credentials as it also was a requirement as a hockey referee. That job morphed into several other private school surveys where I've taken the opportunity to engage teachers and students alike. We've set up mini tripods with old equipment for kids to look through and taught them how to read a tape measure and sharpen a machete. 

If you don't want to be around kids there are options, especially this time of year. Parents, I can't help you with they are hopeless.  

chris mills
(@chris-mills)
250+ posts

Agreed, parents are the biggest hazard, followed closely by the teachers.

We've tried to educate the local architects to plan in advance (some hope) and commission the surveys during holidays. With little kids it's almost impossible to work safely when they are running around and most schools seem incapable of herding them.

For older children, one solution which works quite well is to arrange to give the final year a "careers" talk for an hour or so, when they can see how different subjects can fit into surveying and also get a chance to look through instruments. Then when you actually get on with the survey you have already recruited a large cohort of "protectors" who keep the younger children well out of your way. We have actually managed internal building surveys this way when time constraints required - although one word of warning - PLAN WORK SO NOTHING IS SET UP IN CORRIDORS AT CHANGE OF LESSON TIMES - or you get trampled!

Page 2 / 3
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: