Community Forums

Share:

Cutting Tools  

Page 2 / 5

Cee Gee
(@cee-gee)
250+ posts

I forgot to mention that one of my Maine colleagues cut off the end of his left thumb a few years ago cutting woody Maine growth with a machete.

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

I will never swing another bush axe or ditch bank blade if I can avoid it and since I do not own one it is certainly avoidable.

I never like the regular machetes because of the handles and last year I went and bought this Fiskars 2 handed machete. It is more of a scimitar and a straight blade drop sheath will not work so I had to take it to a leather shop in town.

Saddle leather and stitching.

20181017 083812

Peter Ehlert
(@peter-ehlert)
2,500+ posts

I used a machete for many years. When I went to Oregon I was introduced to the "reverse brush hook"
let the weight and momentum of the tool do the work, save your shoulders and elbows.
It also doubles as a pounding tool.
I keep the inner blade sharp, the outer blade gets a different hatchet like treatment.
my machetes have gone unused (by me) for several decades.

brush hook

PS: the hooked part gets used to pull the cruft aside, saves getting my arms into the mess
PPS: the handles are the same as a common axe handle, easy to find in any hardware store. I keep spare handles for all tools.

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)
2,500+ posts

Like Brad said in a post above about machete use.

We neither use nor possess  anything for cutting line (I think one crew chief has a pocket knife), onsite bulldozers do it for us.  ? 

Once, a long time ago we had a crew member damn near amputate his kneecap with a friggin machete.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

Geography is a major driver in tool choice. I use a gerber sawback for small stuff and a chainsaw to clear trees from the road. Neither gets a lot of use. I've only been hospitalized a few times with machete issues, none in the last 25 years.

The gerber is awesome. The handle is a tacky soft rubber. The blade is light enough to not notice carrying but very tough.  The sheath was crap. I picked up the sokkia leather sheath and cut the top to cover the blade and half the handle. 

1 Reply
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: thebionicman

Geography is a major driver in tool choice. I use a gerber sawback for small stuff and a chainsaw to clear trees from the road. Neither gets a lot of use. I've only been hospitalized a few times with machete issues, none in the last 25 years.

The gerber is awesome. The handle is a tacky soft rubber. The blade is light enough to not notice carrying but very tough.  The sheath was crap. I picked up the sokkia leather sheath and cut the top to cover the blade and half the handle. 

I have a couple of the Gerbers.  I do like the handle but I have found that the hole in the tip and the saw back get hung up on the black berry vines.  And anyone who has surveyed in western Oregon or Washington know that clients around here don't hire us to survey their land, the hire us to clear the black berries.

I tend to use a machete for vines and light brush and a woodsman's pal for heavier stuff.  If I have to wade through a see of berries I break out the Stihl pole saw with the hedge trimer attachment.

Page 2 / 5