Cutting Tools  

Page 2 / 3 Prev Next
  RSS

RasmussenLS
(@rasmussenls)
5+ posts Member
October 17, 2018 8:07 am  
Posted by: Brad Ott

Fiskars Ratchet Drive Anvil Lopper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BC79KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_o5HXBbT35T51J

Have not touched my machete for three years.

I will ditto this, plus they have a lifetime guarantee. I have used a machete, and my men in the field still prefer them (more MANLY), although I can trim just as fast and far with these puppies. I carry a small pair of hand clippers with me as well, fit nicely into cargo pockets. The loppers make for a great workout on both sides of the body without resulting in elbow pain or over-sized biceps, lol.  Typically do not cut anything over 2" anyway. Most landowners have a special connection with their trees. 

Armothy

RADAR and Brad Ott liked
ReplyQuote
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 7:39 am  

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323413788707

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
100+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 7:44 am  

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/brushcutters-and-clearing-saws/fs360cem/

Cut literally miles( one line was 2672.45' pin to pin) of russian olive and salt cedar for a survey for the DOR along the Rio Grande.

This thing is scary.  Imagine a super powerful circular saw on a stick, and always use the harness so you don't lop off your feet.  

Otherwise, I have a Parang.  I like it.

ReplyQuote
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 7:46 am  

What I would like to find is a machete with a regular length blade but with the end shaped like a a billhook. The area I live and work in has lots of vines, briars and those infernal privet bushes and a billhook style blade would be nice. I've never used one as I describe but I have often thought that it would prevent the the things I want to cut from whipping away as I try to cut it.

I know Fiskars and Gerber each makes a short one but I would like a longer one and I sure have no interest whatsoever swinging a ditch bank blade or bush axe ever again.  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Just A. Surveyor

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 8:15 am  

Weedeater with the right blade is an awesome brush cutter.

Trib lade

Quad blade

Chainsaw circular blade

Mini chainsaw head

Multi replaceable plastic & metal blades.

I use a sawed off ditch bank handle that suits my needs. The long handle is too much to swing these days.

There is also a two bolt handle model that has a smaller blade and much lighter.

A sharp blade helps greatly, many weedeater blades do not come with an edge and adding one makes them cut much better.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by A Harris

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
5,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 8:24 am  

I can't use a machete, hurts too much.  Five minutes of machete results in five months of shoulder and elbow pain.

I can swing a fiskars axe, no problem with that.

Mostly I use compound loppers.

I recently acquired a 40v Husqvarna 14" chain saw; that thing is awesome.  Can't use up the battery.  The leaf blower that uses the same battery will use up the battery.  I also have the hedge trimmer (our Hand Crews use chain saws and gas powered hedge trimmers).  Anyway...I am very tempted to bring it to the field with me although it would break a lot of rules.  My department regards chain saws as a tree felling tool so one week of tree felling training is required for certification, includes felling BIG trees.  I get it, chain saws are dangerous, we have several accidents per year.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? -1 Corinthians 15:55

ReplyQuote

Resolve to Get Licensed - Save 15% on Almost Everything

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 9:23 am  

I have been considering buying one of the Stihl Combi units that has interchangeable heads and installing one of those brush cutters on one. I am sure it would work but portability is the issue. If you can drive close to where you are working one of those things would be a good and useful tool but lugging around a long & unwieldy pole saw or weed eater with a cutter head long distances would suck.

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
100+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 9:46 am  
Posted by: Just A. Surveyor

I have been considering buying one of the Stihl Combi units that has interchangeable heads and installing one of those brush cutters on one. I am sure it would work but portability is the issue. If you can drive close to where you are working one of those things would be a good and useful tool but lugging around a long & unwieldy pole saw or weed eater with a cutter head long distances would suck.

If you see my Avitar, (small i know) we used them to cut line for our shots, 3' wide to the dirt. Not that heavy, and if it got too thick just bust it out and buzz through.  its capable of zipping through a 4 inch tree like Buttah!

ReplyQuote
clearcut
(@clearcut)
500+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 10:16 am  

Stihl 026 w/ 20" bar.  Nothing faster when placed in the hands of a capable person.

Used a brush hook for years.  Like it still for very minor work these days.  Much prefer the 026.  Much easier on the body parts particularly for old guys like me.  Gotta be honest though.  I run an 066 w/ 40" bar in my other "hobby" cutting timber.  Makes the 026 feel light as a feather.

Absolutely hate and despise machetes.  Maybe good for cutting watermelons en masse but little else.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by clearcut

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
January 10, 2019 1:52 pm  

When you get a Sthil ask for the model with a solid shaft.

Had one for 20yrs and last summer I got a new tank kit and primer bubble cause it was suckin air.

Have worn out a number of different styles oh heads and the motor and shaft is going strong.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
lukenz
(@lukenz)
20+ posts Member
January 11, 2019 11:26 am  

One of the best tools I've used is a long handle sugar cane knife which the boss usually picked up on his holiday to Fiji.  600mm overall and 300mm blade, super light to carry and will cut up to arm thickness if you use it like an axe.

cane knife

For gorse/blackberry generally a long handled slasher (1200mm overall) is the tool in the truck to keep your hands out of the thorns (although a long plank to flatten blackberry rather than try cut it is usually more effective just the plank to heavy for general use)

Slasher

This post was modified 1 week ago by lukenz

RADAR liked
ReplyQuote
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member
January 12, 2019 5:47 am  

What treatment do you put on the wood handles, to preserve them?

N

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote

Javad GNSS

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member
January 12, 2019 8:06 am  

I think I've found my answer. Boiled linseed oil. 

Old story is here:

https://gizmodo.com/how-cartographers-for-the-u-s-military-inadvertently-c-1830758394

N

Nate

ReplyQuote
thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts Member
January 12, 2019 9:34 am  

There are two products out there called 'Amish wood milk'. The one by dutch glow is spray-on and works ok. It is more of a cleaner. I have another bottle that is the consistency of honey and includes linseed oil. A few hours after use it is not oily.

CFedS, PLS ID-OR-WA-UT-NV

ReplyQuote
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member
January 12, 2019 9:38 am  

My link above is bad. Here's the one I meant to post:

How To Care For Your Axe: 3 Easy Steps

And, thank you Mr. Bionic.

Nate

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Nate The Surveyor

Nate

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3 Prev Next
Resolve to Get Licensed - Save 15% on Almost Everything

Working

Please Login or Register