Community Forums

Share:

Connecting VRS to CORS  

Page 1 / 2

(@tomnsw)
5+ posts

Hi all!

I'm exploring a new way to handle NRTK data and I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to form a direct link from a VRS back to a CORS (the nearest one probably).

You could theoretically compute a baseline from the VRS to the CORS, but there may be a dependency issue as the VRS was derived from data from that CORS (but also from others). Is doing this allowed?

Has anyone tried anything like this before?

Thanks,

Tom

Topic Tags
14 Replies
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

If you are already connected to a VRS Network and  receiving corrections what would you gain by doing it?

(@tomnsw)
5+ posts

I'm looking to throw the NRTK observations into an adjustment. Normally they are treated as point observations, but they can actually form a network connected by the VRSs. So far I just have baselines from VRS to my observed stations but I would like a connection to the datum.

(@squowse)
500+ posts

I understand what you are trying to do but its not going to be possible with a Virtual Reference Station. In as much as it exists at all, the station does not exist outside of the session.

This is one of the main advantages claimed for Leica's MAC system (Master/Auxiliary Concept). The vectors are all from a real station (nearest CORS), but the corrections supplied are calculated using a network of stations, not just the nearest.

1 Reply
(@tomnsw)

5+ posts

We are running Trimble’s Pivot and it allows you to manually generate and position VRS. It generates RINEX (or similar) data as if it were a real station and these appear as intervals in LGO, just like a normal observation.

Given that we can do this, I’m sure there is a way to access the RINEX data generated from automatic VRS. Although the intervals do not appear in LGO..

jhal2nen
(@jhal2nen)
20+ posts

You do realise"VRS" positions change frequently and are not repeatable. RINEX data for multiple positions that are "virtual"?  Best of luck. 

1 Reply
(@tomnsw)

5+ posts

I’ve done quite a bit of testing and have found them to be reasonably reliable. With the right weighting I am happy to use them in an adjustment

Page 1 / 2