Community Forums

Share:

Center of Utility Pole  

Page 1 / 3

BurnorMJ
(@burnormj)
20+ posts

Hello All,

I'm currently using a TSC3 control with either an s-series robot of r10 gps, and I have been asked this question from the engineers that I work with constantly, "can you shoot the center of a utility pole." The question has come up because when they look at the points in Carlson the node is not the center. I usually shoot the f/o the pole assume they can offset the symbol in the drawing. Is there anyway with trimble access to shot the center of offset the shot the distance to the center of the pole? Same goes for tree's? 

thank you

Topic Tags
22 Replies
VA LS 2867
(@va-ls-2867)
250+ posts

If you don't have a routine for recording a separate distance and angle or on offset shot, record a location on both sides of the pole and place the symbol between them.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

Yes, distance offset. There is also horizontal angle offset but if I'm by myself distance offset works best.

You have to change to standard edm mode then the drop down which defaults to angle & distance has a lot more choices. After you choose distant offset you can go back to tracking mode.

right or left is facing the total station. You can go in or out too.

I haven't used offsets in RTK so can't help you there.

2 Replies
Lee D
(@lee-d)

1,000+ posts

If I know the diameter of the pole I shoot it reflectorless and do a distance offset by the radius. The only issue is that you have to remember to put it back to Angles and Distance when you're done!! (From experience... lol)

Hz Angle Offset works fine also you just shoot distance to the side then angles to the center. I like that for trees because I don't need to worry about what the diameter of each tree is.

christ lambrecht
(@christ-lambrecht)

1,000+ posts

We keep ours always in Distance Offset mode but set values to zero for non offsets. However in Distance Offset Mode the S6 won't change to Face 2 automaticaly if you need that. (We don't)

Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts

To use offsets with RTK you go into COGO and go to Create Point. You can do Bearing / Distance, Distance / Distance, or Bearing / Bearing. They have a nifty routine where you can use the sun as your bearing reference, but personally I find Distance / Distance to be the easiest and most accurate.

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)
2,500+ posts

Just shoot the face measure the diameter eyeballing with a tape and add half of that to the distance your shot. Been doing it that way for years without any problem. 😎 

2 Replies
chris mills
(@chris-mills)

250+ posts

Interesting that there are two different approaches to what needs to be recorded - is this a cultural thing? I've always been asked to record the diameter of the tree/pole which enables the symbol to be scaled to size, so my normal approach is the same as FL/GA. If it is being done remotely I shoot the centre line and then record angles to either side so as to be able to calculate the width. Better than just a standard sized symbol.

Rover83
(@rover83)

50+ posts

I think it is partly cultural, but also project-dependent. For a the more intense transportation design surveys, we make sure to tie the center of the pole and note a typical size, or scale our symbols accordingly, since design can hinge on the exact location and size of some of the improvements in the right-of-way.

However, I am doing some drainage improvement/culvert replacement projects for a county, and they don't particularly care about the size or the exact center of the poles unless they are transmission line pylons or similar. Tagging the face of the pole is enough, it lets them know there is a pole within a foot or two of the symbol, which is plenty of tolerance for the designers.

Also, to the OP, Access has a "Circular Object" Measure Method - shoot the center face of the pole, then align crosshairs with tangent/edge of pole as you are looking at it. Or observe both tangents.

It creates the point at the center, then computes and notes the diameter in the point code attributes, which then can be exported as part of the code. Can then be used to scale symbols in cad software. No taping or hand entering radii necessary...

Page 1 / 3
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: