Upgrade and save 50%

Community Forums

aw, how cute  

RSS

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts Member
July 11, 2018 2:51 pm  

they're keeping each other safe (and warm in the winter, i reckon).  for the record, the 60d on the bottom is the p.c. in the r.o.w. 

or maybe it's the one on the top, i suppose that's the risk one runs using rtk.

IMG 5744

This topic was modified 5 months ago by flyin solo

ReplyQuote
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
500+ posts Member
July 11, 2018 6:38 pm  

Who does that? I mean.....seriously they are touching! That is like the one a few weeks ago where some chuckle head cut a notch out of a cap to fit it next to another. 

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
July 11, 2018 8:56 pm  

We used to set another nail for BS years ago about 0.05' in so it would deflect off a tire.

Many time the runner that was sent back to retreive the nails would drive them down. He an only helper and still never made employee of the month.

Things move that much when a vehicle brakes across it in the summer.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Hollandbriscoe
(@hollandbriscoe)
50+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 7:08 am  

Did you keep digging? I have seen people put nails in the center of pipes in order to attach flagging to. 

Where are we going and why are we in this basket

ReplyQuote
Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
5,000+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 7:28 am  

"...to a 60d spike at the beginning of a curve to the left having a radius of 410 feet; then northerly 0.02 feet along said curve through a central angle of 00°00'10" to a 60d spike; thence..."

While we are on the subject of hard work, I just wanted to tell you that I am a man who likes hard work.
I was born working and I worked my way up by hard work.
I ain't ever got no where, but I got there by hard work.
Work of the hardest kind.
I been down and I been out
I been disgusted I been busted and I couldn't be trusted.
-Talking Hard Work, Woody Guthrie

ReplyQuote
Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
100+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 7:49 am  

Could be worse......could be two stamped by different surveyors' alum caps.....   always fun to see how other people practice.....always.......

ReplyQuote

iGage IG8

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 8:07 am  
Posted by: Hollandbriscoe

Did you keep digging? I have seen people put nails in the center of pipes in order to attach flagging to. 

no, but only because it was a single point along a stretch of r.o.w. that i'd recovered way more than enough of as an exercise to prove a gap a block away.  might/probably would have explored more if my work were directly tied to that point.  more like it was state's exhibit #67 or something...

ReplyQuote
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 8:10 am  
Posted by: Dave Karoly

"...to a 60d spike at the beginning of a curve to the left having a radius of 410 feet; then northerly 0.02 feet along said curve through a central angle of 00°00'10" to a 60d spike; thence..."

i love those calls- or, i should say: i love guessing what the impetus behind a call like that is- ignorance or spite.

ReplyQuote
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 8:15 am  

In other news, since when is a 60d spike a suitable boundary monument?

"Convention is like the shell to the chick, a protection till he is strong enough to break it through." Learned Hand

ReplyQuote
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts Member
July 13, 2018 8:26 am  
Posted by: Norman Oklahoma

In other news, since when is a 60d spike a suitable boundary monument?

ah, you know, based upon the condition (and depth) of those nails, a few decades at least.

see them for corners here and there, most often hammered into the top of a 4x4 post or else driven into and through the vacancies that can be found in the karst sub-grade.  i'd guess the practice has become less common around here, but there are still a handful of lot-survey-pez-dispenser firms around.  would probably be the most likely source of similar corners.  or, like @Hollandbriscoe said: lots of times if you just dig a little further you'll find the 1/2" i.d. pipe a few inches down.

i will say that in this case that bottom nail, when taken in combination with all the other rods and pipes i found along that stretch of street, is in gnat's arse territory for the reconfigured alignment of that road (which occurred in 1963).

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by flyin solo

ReplyQuote
PPI Curated Bundles -- Everything you need to pass

Working

Please Login or Register