(@flga-2)
2,500+ posts

5k is about half of what just a boundary survey would cost in FL. 😎 

17 Replies
holy cow
(@holy-cow)

10,000+ posts

@flga

That would be far more than the price paid to acquire the tract in many cases in Smalltown USA.  I have had a few surveys where the survey cost was more than the purchase price but very few over the years.  I did survey my own tract consisting of three city lots that I acquired at a tax sale for a purchase price of $1.  But, I charged myself $0 for the job.

StLSurveyor
Supporter
(@stlsurveyor)

1,000+ posts

@holy-cow I took a call yesterday from a gentleman who was wanting to buy 3 acres from a 100 acre tract in the middle of BFE with riparian right issues. I told him about 5-6 k. He said he was buying the land for about 3.5k, it's swamp wasteland, only good for shooting turkeys. 

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

10,000+ posts

@stlsurveyor

Could buy turkey at the supermarket for the rest of his life for less total dollars.  Besides, wild turkey isn't very tasty, in my opinion.

Murphy
(@murphy)

250+ posts

@holy-cow

Brine it then smoke it and you might change your opinion.

dmyhill
(@dmyhill)

1,000+ posts

@stlsurveyor

Lease it for hunting for 100 years for 3,500. If the anyone ever wanted to fight about it, you wouldn't spend the lawyers fees to protect it, so what is the purpose getting a nailed down legal and all of that?

FL/GA
Supporter
(@flga-2)

2,500+ posts

@holy-cow

Here’s an example of Oceanfront raw land that sold for $1.71m.

$1,395,000 - 2.8 acresAvailable7142 County Road 30A , Port St Joe, FL 32456 - Gulf County

Residential
Undeveloped

Beachfront
Waterfront
Static Google Map

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

10,000+ posts

@flga

I understand.  We just don't have anything that pricey anywhere near here.  I am familiar though with people who have more dollars than sense.  People who will pay triple the going price for a piece of land just because they think they might be able to shoot a deer or turkey once or twice per year.  Maybe even get drunk with some of their buddies while sending one to the hospital on occasion due to carelessness.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: @holy-cow

@flga

I understand.  We just don't have anything that pricey anywhere near here.  I am familiar though with people who have more dollars than sense.  People who will pay triple the going price for a piece of land just because they think they might be able to shoot a deer or turkey once or twice per year.  Maybe even get drunk with some of their buddies while sending one to the hospital on occasion due to carelessness.

We are selling my father's place.  20 acres, 2 acre pond, 2000 sf log cabin, 3 outbuildings, windmill, 2 water wells.  All for $245,000.  I sure do hate to see it go but my sisters and I can't afford to keep it up.  Now we're got to sort out all the STUFF that's in it and the outbuildings, some of it over 100 years old I'm sure.

Andy

Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)

2,500+ posts

@andy-bruner that is tough buddy.  I feel your pain, we are going through similar stuff with my dad’s folks farm.  Emotions.  Feelings.  Allow them.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: @brad-ott

@andy-bruner that is tough buddy.  I feel your pain, we are going through similar stuff with my dad’s folks farm.  Emotions.  Feelings.  Allow them.

We did.  When he died my sisters and I sat in the loft going through documents, photos, keepsakes, etc.  We'd laugh a while and cry a while.  Now we've got to decide what to keep and what to toss.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

10,000+ posts

@andy-bruner

Put anything questionable in storage for at least a year.  Then go look at it again.

Too much really valuable stuff ends up in dumpsters due to the sense of urgency and the feeling of being overwhelmed at the time.

Mrs. Cow has been going through a bunch of stuff, including family history work done by others, to find a better home for much of it.  She has no descendants and her brothers have a total of three children, all of whom have absolutely no interest in this "garbage" at this time.  Cousins from one side of the family are getting roughly half and cousins from the other side of her family are getting roughly half, depending on the focus of each item.  She has literally a ton of stuff that needs to go to other homes for the long term.  The responses she has received from the recipients are fantastic.

One of my interests is a local historical society and museum of which I am a founding member.  We have accumulated huge amounts of "neat stuff" that was about to be "dumpster crap" from families going through the very thing you are now.  That little scrap of newspaper cut out of a May 1937 issue listing the names of every 8th Grader going through the county-wide graduation program is priceless.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts

@holy-cow Yeah, I'm interested in keeping as much of the historic stuff as we can.  Space is going to be the problem.  We did donate an old clock to the Albany airport.  My father worked there for over 20 years.  when they tore down the old terminal a large (+/- 2 feet in diameter) Longines clock was put in the trash.  My father salvaged it and it stayed in a barn for the next 50-60 years.  Dusty, dirty and probably doesn't work but there is a picture in the Georgia archives from 1950 showing the clock on the wall of the terminal.  I'm hoping they'll clean it up and display it.  Now for all the tools, plows, broken draw bar, and just plain junk that's sitting there.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)

10,000+ posts

@andy-bruner

Out in my garage is a chunk of strap steel that has a sort of minor "S" shape to it.  It has been painted white and then written on to say in very large letters, "Too much ounce for the bounce".  Wouldn't mean anything to anybody but me.  It was part of the springboard in the private pool of a co-worker nearly 45 years ago.  That will be scrap iron once I'm gone.  But, a few feet away from it is a hay scythe that was used over a hundred years ago by my grandfather when he was first starting out on his own as a farmer.  It has a story that the future generations need to hear.  I wouldn't sell it at any price.

Andy Bruner
(@andy-bruner)

1,000+ posts

@holy-cow I understand.  There are pieces and parts that my great grandfather made/used.  Pieces of yokes, parts of disc plows, old parts harnesses, a crosscut saw, etc.  I don't have ANY room for that stuff.  We have to clean out all the stuff by closing (+/- end of August).  I'm going to call in relatives and have them get what they can.

RADAR
(@dougie)

5,000+ posts

@andy-bruner

I went to my Dad's funeral in foam Lake Saskatchewan and went for a little drive around town. I saw a for sale sign on a vacant lot. It said for sale $1. That's not a typo, it was for sale for a buck.

I remember my Dad telling me about the guy across the street from his apartment. He sold his 2 bedroom, 1 bath, with a detached garage, for $1,250.00. That wasn't a typo either...

Location, location, location...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTS3U5DwL9y_hoyhGCliVQLVZS0fmmpmqhuRw&usqp=CAU

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@flga

Prices are soaring here. People pumping money in fleeing other parts of the country. 

FL/GA
Supporter
(@flga-2)

2,500+ posts

@mightymoe

It’s been like that here since Disney World opened in 1971 and still going strong. 😎  

flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)
1,000+ posts

Table A and Schedule B- I won't give any new client who wants a proposal a number without seeing those two things first.  That said- I can see 5K on a tract that size in a very-best case scenario around here.  Gimme 4 corners, no exceptions, improvements, conflicts, or cloud of title all the way around it, and minimal Table A and you're there- a day for field, a day for office, and a day for "just in case".  

David Livingstone
(@david-livingstone)
1,000+ posts

I once did a survey of a little over 10,000 acres, in about 6 different parcels.  A very rural area, and after I was done they asked how much to make it an ALTA survey.  I can’t remember exactly what I said but I think I told them a million dollars.  

Take the next step in your career, PPI will get you there

Page 2 / 2
Scroll to Top