Community Forums

Share:

Survey CAD tech requirements.  

Mark Indzeris
(@mark-indzeris)
100+ posts

In my area (SE VA), there is no shortage of design draftsmen due to the NN and Norfolk shipyards, but there are very few Land Survey / Civil drafters. 

How do you all find your draftspeople? 

To me drafting a plat is a very specific skillset that may only be glanced over in a CAD class concerned with preparing someone for the shipyards.  The small firms I worked for promoted from within- from field to plat drafting.  That would be my preferred method, but I am struggling to find the "motivated" personnel. 

6 Replies
Thad
 Thad
(@thad)
250+ posts

Motivate them more? $$$

1 Reply
Mark Indzeris
(@mark-indzeris)

100+ posts

I've tried with $$$.  Face still stays glued to the phone and distracted by the girlfriend / facebook, youtube, etc. 

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

Every Survey CAD tech I've ever known, save perhaps 1 or 2, started out on the field crew and more or less taught themselves office skills out of necessity.  This includes myself. 

1 Reply
flyin solo
(@flyin-solo)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: Norman Oklahoma

Every Survey CAD tech I've ever known, save perhaps 1 or 2, started out on the field crew and more or less taught themselves office skills out of necessity.  This includes myself. 

same here.  R12 with a digitizer, usually with a beer in hand, after a full day of shooting residential titles.  helped that my boss lived next door and we built the office on the back of his house.

but to the original question: i wish i knew.  because 1. that's exactly the person i could and would hire right now 2. exactly the person who, in my opinion, needs the most training and is- conversely- probably the most resistant to it ("but i have an certificate in CAD, i already know this...") and 3. at least around here of late, can absolutely name their price.

cad techs here are getting more an hour than i did when i shopped jobs immediately after getting my license in 2006.  which...  i get it- time goes by, but they're getting PAID, and nary any of them know the first thing about surveying.

Daniel Ralph
(@daniel-ralph)
500+ posts

I've never had to do it but if I did I would probably get a disenchanted aerospace drafter from the Lazy B.  I would find a CAD drawing of what I want, an old plat that was hand drawn that I admire, and a piece of sh*t drawing that came out of Brand X and perhaps a few other gems. Put them in front of the applicant and ask them which they like the best.  If they choose wisely, mentor-mentor-mentor and mentor again. Oh and keep cold beer in the fridge and go golfing every now and then. Those are perks that are overlooked by management. 

1 Reply
A Harris
(@a-harris)

5,000+ posts

I agree.

A draftsman can follow a pattern, model and/or example of a product and put that into whatever the new drawing is.

My present final product is much the same look as I first made by hand in pencil as instructed in high school drafting class and especially by Mr Betts with ink well pen in college.