Community Forums

Share:

Plotter Decision  

Page 2 / 4

John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts

Jim,

If you are looking to replace, the HP T520 seems to work well for me.  I rarely plot full size but the tabloid sheet feeder works great.  As I recall it cost about $1500.

2 Replies
Bob Freeman
(@bob-freeman)

50+ posts

I'll second the T520.  Reasonable price, small and so far dependable.  We bought it a few years ago when our HP 750C was incapacitated.

We have a Staples across the street if quantity is needed.

We still have the HP 750C chugging along.  A few you-tube videos and some parts and presto.  That unit was bought used 18 years.

After reading Jims post I looked up replacement ink cartridges.  Nuts, you-tube won't fix that problem.

Skeeter1996
(@skeeter1996)

500+ posts

I got a HP7440 wireless tabloid sized scanner, printer, fax for $144 from Office Max. The ink cartridges are $208 a set which is color. You have to have an OP at windows 7 or above. My phone prints to it wirelessly. Print quality is quite good.

Cameron Watson PLS
(@cameron-watson-pls)
250+ posts

If all you're really using it for is check prints I would get a larger all-in-one that will do half-size.  We have an Epson WF-7520 what will take 12"x18" sheets.  After that anything that needs plotted for a deliverable would get done in a print shop, the expense passed through at cost +10%. 

We have a full size Xerox 6204 Plotter that has been a serious workhorse.  I would recommend something like it although it won't do color.

Kevin Samuel
(@kevin-samuel)
1,000+ posts

I saw a pretty nice sales pitch for the HP Page Wide XL 4000. Impressive and fast, but likely overkill for your situation. Something to consider.

Sergeant Schultz
(@sergeant-schultz)
500+ posts

If you're a glutton for punishment get an HP T120 - I've had mine for about 3 years and it's the most aggravating device I've ever owned.  Prints D sized landscape dwgs OK right off the 22" roll, autorotates perfectly.  Load a single D size sheet of mylar, won't rotate the dwg, prints 22/34ths on one end of sheet.  Have to print to pdf, rotate pdf 90°, then it will plot it.

IF you can get it to accept the single sheet and acknowledge that it is in fact 22.0" wide, and not 21.48" or some other nonsensical number.  

Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)
5,000+ posts

I use Staples, generally walk in, full size B&W and 11x17 color, 1 each for a check print, deliverables are cost plus. I have a new 12x18 color plotter sitting in a very big box waiting for me to clear up some office space. it is just so much bigger than the 11x17 that crapped out.

I wanted an HP 8.5x14 B&W laser, but am very satisfied with the Brother I got instead. 

I am spoiled as I have 2 Staples within 3 miles of home, North or West and one is almost always on the way to the majority of my field work, so dropping in is no big deal.

Paul in PA

Page 2 / 4