Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

Community Forums

What is your workflow with importing Leica DBX files? Poll is created on February 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Leica DBX, MicroSurvey embeddedCAD, Leica Infinity work flow  

RSS

jhal2nen
(@jhal2nen)
20+ posts Member
February 20, 2018 2:14 pm  

Hi all, hoping to get some feedback from anyone using Leica field software (DBX files) and MS embedded CAD in the office. 

What is your workflow from field to office? Are you directly importing DBX files into CAD? Are you using Leica Infinity? 

We're looking to refine the workflow to be more efficient, taking advantage of the DBX files without converting and stripping them down. 

ReplyQuote
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts Member
February 21, 2018 6:37 am  

I'm going through Infinity to get my Civil 3D output.  Infinity seems to be way harder than it should be.  I'm going to a training class on Infinity next week so hopefully I can speed things up.  I see myself learning Python in he near future.

John Putnam, PLS
OR, CA, WA & ID

ReplyQuote
jhal2nen
(@jhal2nen)
20+ posts Member
February 21, 2018 8:30 am  
Posted by: John Putnam

I'm going through Infinity to get my Civil 3D output.  Infinity seems to be way harder than it should be.  I'm going to a training class on Infinity next week so hopefully I can speed things up.  I see myself learning Python in he near future.

Thanks John, are you exporting LandXML to C3D?  I agree with you regarding Infinity, not the most intuitive. 

ReplyQuote
El caba
(@el-caba)
FNG Member
February 21, 2018 11:56 am  

I use both civil 3D(to include Leica x-change) and infinity.  I export surfaces via land xml and ASCII files for points. It would be nice to export from civil 3d into infinity/captivate and start using models with minimal effort(e.g. convert/dumb down files).  

Please  feel to contact me for any additional feedback. 

ReplyQuote
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts Member
February 21, 2018 1:55 pm  

I have a system for exporting from Infinity to Civil 3D, it is just a little clunky.  Part of my problem is my heavy use of attributes in coding and C3D's tendency to gag on spaces in the description keys.  The ASCII output from Infinity includes the attribute description along with the attribute.  My procedure is the export line-work in the from of a .dwg file.  This works but I do have to remove all of the no line info such as ACAD point blocks and image references.  For the points I just export them from Infinity back to a DBX.  Then in the CS20 emulator I export them with a FRT file the fits the bill.  Then I have to edit the resulting ASCII file to remove unwanted spaces.  I do not use Infinity for anything other than network adjustments, processing GNSS and processing TPS.  I would think that I could create a style sheet to meet my needs but the time has not been there.

As for the rest of Infinity, for a large portion of it I think the just took stuff from LGO and made it more difficult.  I hope that can be resolved by some training next week.

John Putnam, PLS
OR, CA, WA & ID

ReplyQuote
summerprophet@hotmail.com
(@summerprophet)
250+ posts Member
February 22, 2018 9:06 pm  

Leica Captivate doesn’t play well with AutoCad, and the training you are about to go to is going to result with a lot of answers being “Leica is going to address that, possibly in the next release”. 

The fact is Leica Captivate is already 2 Years in to a 10 year product cycle, and there are still huge gaps in the software capability..... Leica Viva was more capable. 

With these problems, I export the ASCII files into autocad directly, and only export the DBX files to archive the job so I can delete it from the data collector (or have backup in the event of failure).

I only really use the captivate software For quality control or combining point files of 2 data collectors.

ReplyQuote

PPI Curated Bundles -- Everything you need to pass

jhal2nen
(@jhal2nen)
20+ posts Member
February 23, 2018 8:13 am  

MicroSurvey embeddedCAD (AutoDesk engine) has the option to import DBX files direct into CAD and the database. There are a couple challenges with it, but the functionality is there to work from. C3D is not built for surveyors in my opinion. I can only assume, but Leica will most likely have a desktop product that is a combination of CAD/Infinity as an alternative to AutoDesk in the "next releases". 

ReplyQuote
John Putnam
(@john-putnam)
1,000+ posts Member
February 23, 2018 9:17 am  
Posted by: summerprophet

Leica Captivate doesn’t play well with AutoCad, and the training you are about to go to is going to result with a lot of answers being “Leica is going to address that, possibly in the next release”. 

The fact is Leica Captivate is already 2 Years in to a 10 year product cycle, and there are still huge gaps in the software capability..... Leica Viva was more capable. 

With these problems, I export the ASCII files into autocad directly, and only export the DBX files to archive the job so I can delete it from the data collector (or have backup in the event of failure).

I only really use the captivate software For quality control or combining point files of 2 data collectors.

I don't have a problem with Captivate.  Except for its lack of user key functionality that I had with Smartworks and Viva I like it.  It does appear to be improving with each release.  Even though it is clunky, the CAD output from Infinity is sufficient.  My lines all come out on the correct layers.  Editing and adjusting is just TPS data overly complicated.

John Putnam, PLS
OR, CA, WA & ID

ReplyQuote
PPI Curated Bundles -- Everything you need to pass

Working

Please Login or Register