Community Forums

Share:

I NEED A DATABASE  

Page 2 / 5

Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts

From my experience most software is worth about what you pay for it.

Jon B. Gramm
(@jon-b-gramm)
20+ posts

Why not try QGIS?
It is free.
It works in multiple operating systems (Windows 32 bit & 64 bit, Linux, MAC OS10, and others)
It has a very active community for support, and development.
You can design your own project database and store it in a shape file, or spatialite file.
It is able to read and write just about any type of file you may encounter.
It will interface to Google Earth, Bing, and other web mapping portals.
It interfaces with GPS/GNSS equipment that output NMEA strings. You can collect field data with it. I do it all the time with a rugged tablet.
It is able to work with just about every datum or projection known to man. (It uses Proj4.4)

The ability to import PLSS data, Found Monument Records, Federal, State, and Local data, Ownership data, Utility data, then view it, query it,
calculate with it is a tremendous asset. 

It has great cartographic capabilities.
The list of capabilities are too many to mention here.

I can say this, I have built project management databases using QGIS for my current employer, and others..
They are more than happy with the results. 
It is not difficult to learn, and once you start producing with it, you will come up with ideas for its use.

No two cents worth.
It's free.

WWW.QGIS.ORG

If you download it, I would recommend the Long Term Release, Version 2.18.24 and get the Standalone Installer for now.
Version 3.2 is still for early adopters. It is mostly stable, but has some quirks that are being ironed out.

MLSchumann
(@mlschumann)
100+ posts

Personally, I've never used a database program easier to use than FileMaker Pro. I have been using it since about 1990.
Some info: https://file.org/free-download/filemaker-pro
FileMaker.com:
https://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/

Williwaw
(@williwaw)
1,000+ posts

I've used Access for this purpose very successfully for many years. The primary method to my madness is interfacing the Access .mdb file with our CAD land base maps so that I can plot the job No. in the database in CAD by using an ODBC connection and the State Plane northings and eastings in the Access file in the general area where the work was done. It can also be searched directly in seconds by MTRS, job No., subdivision name, FB PG, street name, on and on. It's the only way I've found I can keep track of thousands of jobs done over 20 plus years. I frequently use work done 15-20 years ago to quickly get work done where perhaps a lot of the original control has gone bye-bye or to comp out search coordinates before I even step foot on the site. The first step in every job is consulting the "Oracle" to see what's been done in an area and the last step putting it to bed is updating that database.

2 Replies
M.McBride
(@mmcbride)

5+ posts
Posted by: Williwaw

I've used Access for this purpose very successfully for many years. The primary method to my madness is interfacing the Access .mdb file with our CAD land base maps so that I can plot the job No. in the database in CAD by using an ODBC connection and the State Plane northings and eastings in the Access file in the general area where the work was done. It can also be searched directly in seconds by MTRS, job No., subdivision name, FB PG, street name, on and on. It's the only way I've found I can keep track of thousands of jobs done over 20 plus years. I frequently use work done 15-20 years ago to quickly get work done where perhaps a lot of the original control has gone bye-bye or to comp out search coordinates before I even step foot on the site. The first step in every job is consulting the "Oracle" to see what's been done in an area and the last step putting it to bed is updating that database.

This sounds very interesting. Would you mind sharing how you do this in more detail? Wonder if this would work with 2018 Carlson OEM. 

Williwaw
(@williwaw)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: M.McBride
Posted by: Williwaw

This sounds very interesting. Would you mind sharing how you do this in more detail? Wonder if this would work with 2018 Carlson OEM. 

I'm using Map3D for this but I'm sure there is a way to do it in Carlson. Following outlines the basic steps. Setting up the connection is the tricky part. Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

SURVEY DB

SURVEY DB 2

SURVEY DB 3

SURVEY DB 4

By going to the 'Feature Label' I can toggle on and off whatever column of records I want displayed. For me just knowing the work order number is enough to allow me to search the Access file directly.

When I started here I took over for a retiring surveyor with the memory of an elephant and when he walked out he took with him the knowledge of what was in those hundreds of files. So I spent the good part of a winter going through them and georeferencing them in this Access file and making notes in it of what was done, where, field book, ect. Frankly it saved my a$$.

Squirltech
(@squirl)
250+ posts

Newforma is also an option but I'm not sure of the cost.

Page 2 / 5