Community Forums

Share:

Does Civil 3D provide value to the typical surveyor?  

Page 8 / 16

aliquot
(@aliquot)
1,000+ posts

Maybe not a concern for the typical surveyor, but it is a non starter for me because it does not have geodetic functions.

I have used it. I can see it being preferred by large engineering firms with very compartmentalized job duties, but other wise, I think the higher cost and steeper learning curve  provide very little extra benefit for most independent land surveyors.   

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

In a word...NO!

C3D is a powerful design tool but it is too complex and far too expensive for most all survey related needs.

paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts

I've watched this post with interest but refrained from posting simply because I am a Bentley user.  But I would like to say something now.  One misnomer I've noticed is in the title of the original post; typical surveyor; and therein lies the "x factor".  I don't believe there actually is such a thing.  We all probably would like to think we are "typical".  I mean we all basically perform in a similar fashion.  We survey. But I think the comparison stops there. 

I can understand the need for software compatibility with A&E firms if the bulk of your work is preparatory for those types of projects.  I have several colleagues that are strictly C3D users because their business model is slanted in that direction.  I also have colleagues that do bang-up business, like myself, that have absolutely nothing to do with architectural or engineering clients.  While we are all surveyors, the end-users of our data appear to drive what software we need, not our commonality as surveyors, and rightfully so.

I have noticed over the years that AutoCAD products have put a lot of time and effort into maintaining some sort of exclusivity in their products.  I am disheartened by the fact that all that time and effort seems geared more toward keeping their profits high than anything else. I would rather see them providing diverse products for a wider spectrum of users...

But I guess that's the American Way.  If you have something that everyone thinks they need...hike your prices.

Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
1,000+ posts

Although this link below is survey related to Autodesk Infraworks, it does at the end mention a similar video for Civil 3D. These guys appear to be producing and sharing a lot of good stuff.

https://civilimmersion.typepad.com/civil_immersion/2018/06/finish-strong-friday-utilizing-survey-monument-gis-data-in-infraworks.html

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

Getting costs for the yearly "update/subscription", they are very close to jumping the shark this time. It's outrageous!!! 

Page 8 / 16