Community Forums

Computer assistance required  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

RPLS#
(@rpls#)
50+ posts Member
November 8, 2018 3:04 pm  

I have a similar sized operation as you and I just keep all my projects in my dropbox folder, it has worked well so far, I have a few computers connected to it. Its handy, I can be in the field and view any documents or drawings on my laptop, or PDF's on my cell phone.  I'm bumping into my 14GB free version capacity now. I either need to start paying for the business size capacity or get some sort of server.  

ReplyQuote
Dan Patterson
(@dan-patterson)
1,000+ posts Member
November 8, 2018 3:40 pm  

I also went with the mycloud ex 4. I love it. I also have remote access to all the files on it through my phone. I can open deeds and maps that I forgot to print, and email files to people that I forgot to send directly from the field. I also use the RAID option so the data is backed up. 

Daniel J Patterson, PLS, PE

ReplyQuote
tripodita
(@tripodita)
5+ posts Member
November 8, 2018 4:10 pm  

My thoughts are the same as Lee Green:  I have the identical office situation to what you have, and have used shared files and printers in it for just about 20 years.  Drop box is a good, free option for remote access.  If you have a mac mixed in, Virtual Box gives you PC specific apps as needed, but it can be finicky to connect to the network.  Backups, as always, are critical, either to thumb drives or external drives.  A fire safe for the backups is a really good idea...

ReplyQuote
Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
500+ posts Member
November 8, 2018 4:15 pm  

I believe my problem is solved for now. I just learned of the Backup & Sync function on Google Drive and it going through and syncing up our files now.

My wife is backing up her computer and I mine.

And I did not have to get a server. Heck I have enough computers here that I could probably cobble something together but Google Drive might work out.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Just A. Surveyor

Steven Provenson
My Stripper Name is; Just A. Surveyor
Excuse me while I whip this out!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register