Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Civil 3D training questions compilation  

Page 1 / 4

Pole Cat
(@pole-cat)
5+ posts

My firm is entering the 21st century and upgrading from an older autocad (pre 2013) to the newest 2020 Civil 3D.  For this they have a guy from micro desk coming in to do a seminar for 2 days and answer all the questions in house.

They have tasked my to ask the questions that relate to the survey department.  I have most of the generals, how to work with points, point groups, TIN surfaces, etc... what are some things that are coming to the top of your mind that I should ask about.

This could be any newer feature that C3D has that the older versions do not, or just a nice little trick that you have found to make your life easier.  Let me know, im compiling my list today and will be getting trained over the next few days, and want a really solid group of questions i can ask this guy while hes here.

27 Replies
BlitzkriegBob
(@blitzkriegbob)
250+ posts

If you do topos, and your crews connect line work in the field, you'll want to ask about coding, survey figures, and the survey database.

You'll want to learn as much as you can about styles.  It's great to know how to work with all these objects, but knowing how to set up styles so that the information is displayed to your satisfaction is a big key.  There are styles for the objects themselves (points, surfaces, parcels) and for the labels also.

Do you see yourself doing alignments or parcels?  If so, get familiar with those also.

It might be helpful to know the type of work that you do or plan on doing.  We wouldn't all necessarily stress the same things.

2 Replies
Pole Cat
(@pole-cat)

5+ posts

@blitzkriegbob

Hi thank you,

we do commercial site development, so large boundary surveys, subdividing, and surfaces/topos is the guts of the projects we do.

I've never worked with parcels even in LDD, unfortunately, maybe this is something i can pick up in the transfer

ncsudirtman
(@ncsudirtman)

50+ posts

@blitzkriegbob

I second everything this guy says. The firm I worked for started with 2012 C3D and now they’re still using 2015 C3D. I’ve dabbled a bit with 18, 19 & 20 on my workstation but it’s tough to convince others to move forward too, despite the serious advances they’ve made. We’ve had several, multi day seminars and have still barely scratched the “surface” so to speak on how to fully utilize the software. Like he said, a survey database is VERY important along with the alphanumeric code descriptions in order to save time on the data import. Also, the styles are extremely important to understand as they affect how things such as points, labels, alignments, profiles, cross sections, surfaces, earthwork volumes & pipe networks appear. 

SUB D VIDER
(@sub-d-vider)
100+ posts

Once you have figured out what your work flows will be from field to finish, set up all of your styles (points, codes, text, surfaces, survey user settings, survey data base settings.......) save it to a template drawing.

So the questions ought to be "How do we get to this point?"

1 Reply
Pole Cat
(@pole-cat)

5+ posts

@sub-d-vider

luckily we have been setting up our styles with a consultant! so i have a full set of codes, layers, linetypes, symbols etc all good to go for me! We've been working hard on gettin this prepared

Oscar with Calibration-Free Tilt Compensation - Tersus GNSS

WA-ID Surveyor
(@wa-id-surveyor)
500+ posts

To clarify, you used Civil3d or just Autocad up through 2013?  It sounds like Civil3d.  There is a huge difference in learning Civil3d if your coming in w/o any civil3d experience and used LDD for years.

2 Replies
BlitzkriegBob
(@blitzkriegbob)

250+ posts
Pole Cat
(@pole-cat)

5+ posts

@wa-id-surveyor

hi i use LDD every day and learned on it. Ive only touched civil 3d a handful of times for regular 2D drafting when i needed to.

BlitzkriegBob
(@blitzkriegbob)
250+ posts

I'll throw out some general ideas for trying to learn as much as possible.  You are probably going to get a lot of things thrown at you.  Try to let as much soak in as possible, and try not to get bogged down in details.  It's been a long time since I've taken a training class, but the worst thing that could happen in those would be to have one person start asking a bunch of questions that held up the class and got us sidetracked.  You're not going to learn Civil 3D in two days.  For me, I try to pick up concepts.  Once you figure out the concept of how one thing works, often times that concept transfers to other tasks.  Having said that, always remember that the listener controls the conversation.  If something is moving too fast for you, don't be afraid to speak up and have them slow down, or even backtrack if needed.

Is it just going to be you one-on-one with this trainer?  I personally think having more than one person involved is a good thing.  More ears that can listen.  If it's possible, I would think about recording the training.  Things that he might say won't always make much sense tomorrow, but it could click in six months.

Hit him up for any templates he might have that have styles set up.  Don't be afraid to utilize styles created by someone else.  There are so many different options you have when it comes to styles that you may not realize how many different styles you may want to create.  If he's got 50 or 100 styles you can modify for your use then you're getting a good head start.

Page 1 / 4
Scroll to Top