Community Forums

Share:

Carlson SurvCE noob help RAW  

Page 1 / 2

RawheaD
(@rawheadz)
5+ posts

Hi everyone, just joined.

I have a very noob question; I do archaeology and have been mapping with total stations for quite some time.  I've been using Carlson's SurvCE on a Nomad for data collection, but have never really had the need to deal with editing the RAW file.  Until this year.  On the final day of a field school, we had students map an area starting off with just three control points.  We provide the XYZ for those three and the rest is up to the students.  Well, in the haste of that morning, when I copied over the coordinates from our master mapping project, I inadvertently reversed the Northing and Easting columns, ending up in completely screwy maps for those students.  Each team occupied two of the three control points during the exam, and had the choice of using either of the non-occupied points as the backsight.

In order to fix this, I believe should be fairly simple by finding those two setups in the RAW file, and reversing the N and E values, and reprocessing the entire file.  I'm just not sure of the exact procedure (e.g., do I need to create three new control points with the correct coordinates, or can I manually type in the correct values, etc.).

Also, I have the RAW files on hand, but the Nomad with SurvCE is elsewhere; is there a way to edit/reprocess the RAW files on a PC, other than purchasing one of the various suites of software, e.g., SurvPC.

Thanks for any help / pointers. 

Topic Tags
13 Replies
antcrook
(@antcrook)
100+ posts

Along with SurvCE you should also get 1 license for Carlson X-port. You should be able to load up the rw5 file, make the necessary changes then re-compute and create a new coordinate file.

1 Reply
RawheaD
(@rawheadz)

5+ posts

Ah, cool!  This X-port sounds like exactly what I need.  Unfortunately, the SurvCE came with the Nomad, which I purchased used; maybe I'll contact Carlson and ask if they could provide a license for X-port based on the license info for SurvCE. Thanks!!

RADAR
(@dougie)
2,500+ posts

I'm definitely not an expert at this, so maybe someone like @ladd-nelson will see this and provide a better perspective...

I believe, if you want to edit the raw file on a PC, that you will need Carlson Survey to edit and compile the file(s). But I could be wrong. You can also send the file(s) to someone with this software, and they can compile it for you.

1 Reply
RawheaD
(@rawheadz)

5+ posts

Yeah, I think anybody savvy with editing RAW files would be able to do this in like 2 minutes.  Need to learn 🙁

sireath
(@sireath)
250+ posts

Do you by any chance have Carlson Survey? or are you able to download a trial copy? as in the point toolbar, there is a function called coordinate point utilities where you can easily just swap the northing easting. Key in the point number you want to swap and viola you are done. 

1 Reply
RawheaD
(@rawheadz)

5+ posts

I'm pretty sure I'd be able to download a trial version, as I've never done that before.  Is the "Carlson Survey (ACAD OEM)" a standalone version that would work?

sireath
(@sireath)
250+ posts

I use the intellicad version. Carlson claims that ACAD OEM is like a Autocad stripped down version. But some features are not able to be used. It should work though. Remember to drop carlson an email to get the trial license key. 

1 Reply
RawheaD
(@rawheadz)

5+ posts

OK, will give it a try. Thanks!

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted: