Community Forums

Carlson as third-party “add-on” to AutoCAD  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 5:51 am  

So....I'm suddenly in the market for software as I find myself starting a survey department from scratch at a large regional (350 employees +/-) geotechnical engineering company that found themselves in over their heads on optical monitoring projects. 

Will Carlson run in AutoCAD LT or does it need the full 3D AutoCAD?

“Civilization is not an endless succession of inventions and discoveries, but the task of ensuring that certain things last.”
— Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ReplyQuote
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 6:19 am  

Not what you asked, because I don't know the answer, but I will say that it does run well these days with IntelliCAD.

Beer Leg dot com R O C K S ! !
If you find this forum valuable, then click here https://rplstoday.com/donate/

ReplyQuote
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 7:14 am  

AutoCAD LT will not run any form of 3rd party customizations. You can, of course, buy Carlson OEM.  

"Convention is like the shell to the chick, a protection till he is strong enough to break it through." Learned Hand

ReplyQuote
Dan Dunn
(@dan-dunn)
250+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 7:15 am  

Nothing runs on AutoCAD LT, it is a closed program.

It does run on full AutoCAD or the included IntelliCAD. 

I can second that it does run very well on IntelliCAD.

C.Tompkins liked
ReplyQuote
James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 7:26 am  

Thanks.

CAD manager is on vacation my first week...so I'm on my own for my first shopping spree 😀 

“Civilization is not an endless succession of inventions and discoveries, but the task of ensuring that certain things last.”
— Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 7:39 am  

I find myself starting a survey department from scratch at a large regional (350 employees +/-) geotechnical engineering company

I thought you gave up the corporate life for the more laid-back realm of a small engineering company?

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

ReplyQuote

Javad GNSS

James Fleming
(@james-fleming)
5,000+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 7:48 am  
Posted by: Jim Frame

I find myself starting a survey department from scratch at a large regional (350 employees +/-) geotechnical engineering company

I thought you gave up the corporate life for the more laid-back realm of a small engineering company?

They made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

plus

You Can't Go Home Again

and

How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paree?)

— Nicolás Gómez Dávila

ReplyQuote
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts Member
March 13, 2018 8:38 am  

As long as you are having fun pal.  Life is short if you have fun.

Beer Leg dot com R O C K S ! !
If you find this forum valuable, then click here https://rplstoday.com/donate/

ReplyQuote
cptdent
(@cptdent)
1,000+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 9:38 am  

I STRONGLY recommend Carlson Survey with Embedded AutoCAD. That is basically AutoCAD LT with Carlson Survey loaded on top. A VERY strong and Stable product. You have several Carlson Certified Training Partners near you. They can help you configure your package and customize the package to meet corporate needs. Throw in Carlson's Field To Finish and you have a setup that will pay for itself in less than 2 months.

"Carlson simply works and it works simply". If a 70 year old Mississippi redneck can set it up think what a "bonvivant" can do with it.

Luke J. Crawford and JPH liked
ReplyQuote
Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)
500+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 11:06 am  
Posted by: cptdent

I STRONGLY recommend Carlson Survey with Embedded AutoCAD. That is basically AutoCAD LT with Carlson Survey loaded on top. A VERY strong and Stable product. You have several Carlson Certified Training Partners near you. They can help you configure your package and customize the package to meet corporate needs. Throw in Carlson's Field To Finish and you have a setup that will pay for itself in less than 2 months.

"Carlson simply works and it works simply". If a 70 year old Mississippi redneck can set it up think what a "bonvivant" can do with it.

I agree it really has everything you need and as it is based on AutoCad you know what you see on your screen is exactly what the client will see. I have found this more difficult with intellicad. The latest version now includes the basic Autocad 2d line command that was previously missing which is great for what I do. Survnet least squares is also included which works well.

If we could just persuade Carlson to include the ability to process gps baselines and some point cloud importing and slicing tools all in the Embedded version as well it would be even better!!

ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 1:17 pm  

If we could just persuade Carlson to include the ability to process gps baselines and some point cloud importing and slicing tools all in the Embedded version as well it would be even better!!

Those are both pretty heavy-duty applications on their own, so I wouldn't expect to see them included in a moderately-priced product, especially one not tied to a hardware manufacturer.

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616

ReplyQuote
Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)
500+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 1:38 pm  
Posted by: Jim Frame

Those are both pretty heavy-duty applications on their own, so I wouldn't expect to see them included in a moderately-priced product, especially one not tied to a hardware manufacturer.

Point cloud importing and slicing tools wouldn't really be considered heavy duty at this stage, even vanilla Autocad has them. Registering and indexing yes sure that would be more heavy duty requiring a third party application.

Magnet, TBC etc all offer full processing capabilities from import, GNSS processing drafting etc. Why not Carlson aspire to do the same. One can wish!!

ReplyQuote

iGage IG8

cptdent
(@cptdent)
1,000+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 7:14 pm  

Carlson has a Point Cloud Module and a GPS module available.

ReplyQuote
cptdent
(@cptdent)
1,000+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 7:17 pm  

"Nothing runs on AutoCAD LT, it is a closed program."

I would refer you to the Embedded version as I stated above. You statement is not totally correct.

ReplyQuote
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
500+ posts Member
March 14, 2018 8:51 pm  

Bear in mind whatever you get, you're probably going to need someone in-house to maintain it.

sjc1989 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Precision Geosystems, Where Precision Meets Value.

Working

Please Login or Register