Community Forums

Share:

Any recommendations for managing surveys?  

Page 1 / 2

Squatchy
(@squatchy)
FNG

Can anyone share how they manage their survey information and, at a later date, search the archives for preparing proposals, estimates, etc.? For example, we performed a legal survey or two in a township. What do you use to search for prior projects in the vicinity?

We use CAD but this isn't really about drafting the maps. It's more about searching for prior projects and relevant ground control that may have been used, etc. It would be nice to search by PLSS info, owner, address, etc., if such a software system exists.

8 Replies
1 Reply
Rsmith
(@rsmith)

FNG

Inforetriever. The company I started at used it, works great for managing survey database. We did about 200 boundary surveys a year and it was the only way to search by S T R as well as plats, clients, etc for nearby jobs we previously did.

dms330
(@dms330)
250+ posts

Any relational database or spreadsheet would probably satisfy your needs.  You would just need to create the fields that you want and then enter the job data somehow.

Jon Collins
(@jon-collins)
250+ posts

I export my corners and control to Google earth where I also have a PLSS layer amongst others.

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

I use Google Earth. It's the poor man's GIS. In concert with StarNet's ability to export KML files, which import nicely to Google Earth. As long as your projects are on state plane (or other grid system), it works.  I back up the collected projects to a KMZ file now and then.

If that's not robust enough you could try QGIS.  Open source and free.  

moosetmj
(@moosetmj)
50+ posts

Our computer files are saved by S T R, or subdivision, then by owner or address. Haven't found a better way yet.

Page 1 / 2