Community Forums

Share:

Android field software  

Page 1 / 2

gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts

I've been trying lots of apps that do survey-like limited functions, and a survey controller android app called Nuwa, that  was not too bad. I see others post that they are also wondering if there is other android controller software.

A few days ago got to try Field Genius for android, and as it got formally announced yesterday it's ok to talk about it. MicroSurvey did a complete recode, and it has more stuff, like split screens, ECEF basis, SQL Db, slide out menus, and  it looks like more stakeout options. GNSS at first but TS in a month or so.

We connected with a South receiver at thier HQ in Kelowna BC. They said they support drivers for nearly many 3rd party TS and rovers (about 23 manufacturers) and some of the big ones like Leica ( that makes sense as Hexagon owns MicroSurvey).

Anyhow I don't have all the details I just got to take a test drive and I like it more than the old field genius. Thry have beta program right now. But what I find interesting is this whole idea of bring-your-own receiver that is going on for the mapping folks like with Collector, and maybe now that there is android 3rd party options and so many different receivers that we might see more of this in surveying as well.

10 Replies
Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

I have an idea that now that the Android dam is broken the other suppliers will come out with there own Android applications in very short order. Thanks for posting this.  

1 Reply
gschrock
(@gschrock)

2,500+ posts

@mark-mayer

I forgot to mention they developed it to be available on iOS soon as well. Gotta applaud them Canadians on this one 🙂

jim.cox
(@jimcox)
500+ posts

Trimble here are constantly advertising for Android programmers.

I think mostly for their GIS and Ag divisions - but I would not be surprised to see an android Survey application from them

Hooks
(@hooks)
20+ posts

With the death of windowsCE the market is wide open for a new OS. The problem with running survey programs/apps on a handheld android or Idevice is they are not rugged at all. The old Ranger 500x and the Surveyor1 were tough as nails. I firmly believe I could hammer in a rebar with a old  ranger. 

1 Reply
Jeran Hopfe
(@jeran-hopfe)

5+ posts

@hooks

You can actually get ruggedized Android tablets; it's a lot more universal than iOS, so there is every potential for the manufacturers of survey controllers to simply switch gears to Android.  There are several who already have.

kotuku4
(@kotuku4)
50+ posts

Yeah signed up to download or demo and get error 404 page does not exist. Great.

They already had X-pad survey android in the hexagon family which was great to demo, but difficult to buy as just the software, Geomax distributors wanted to sell with TS or GNSS.

Many other GIS type apps out there, but I want survey with local projections. 

Had already bought a cheap rugged android phone to play with. 

2 Replies
Jeran Hopfe
(@jeran-hopfe)

5+ posts

@kotuku4

Give it a try now, when you posted this, the website was still being updated.  That being said, I don't think it'll work on the phone, at least not in a way that looks nice.  It is currently designed for tablets.

kotuku4
(@kotuku4)

50+ posts

@jeran-hopfe

thanks I downloaded and ran demo license, and confirm it won't run on my current 6.9 inch phone screen. Come up with a screen size message.

Page 1 / 2