Community Forums

Share:

need advice of topic for research thesis  

Page 1 / 2

didit mico
(@didit-mico)
FNG

hi, I am new here in the forum.

recently, I am doing research focus on UAV and BIM. I use DJI phantom 3 standards to conduct photogrammetry, using Ipad and Pix4D capture.
I have a problem in surveying using GCP, because have no experience on it. so when doing photogrammetry I don't really care about GCP.
I process images using Agisoft.
I tried to combine the data from Agisoft to some software I found from other forums, but it makes me be more confusing on what i am doing.
can anyone here help me to solve my problem?
my basic idea is, start from Agisoft, I want to analyze whether the building is ok or not, then do recondition on the building.
thank you for your help.

8 Replies
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

What I read is that you already have a discussion and a topic. Expand on what you know and want and research what you don't know or want to do and find reason for why it is connected and/or needed for others.

Not of any help because none of what you said is relevant to my surveying business model.

1 Reply
didit mico
(@didit-mico)

FNG

haloo, thanks

after all this time, I became confused by what I learned. in your opinion, what can I develop from this problem?

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

More problems.

Maybe wrong tool, right job, or right tool, wrong job. Or, technology will solve it for you.

N

1 Reply
didit mico
(@didit-mico)

FNG

and, can I do photogrammetry without setting up GCP?
really I need advice
and if I have to set up GCP, what should I do first?
from what I have read, I have to use surveying tools to set up GCP
the problem is, my team, they don't have related experience on surveying. and no surveying tools.

Mark Mayer
(@mark-mayer)
2,500+ posts

My understanding is that it is possible to do photogrammetry without ground control points. It is done by getting the camera's position at the time each photo is taken using RTK. But that is tough to do with full sized aircraft and possibly it not even available on drones. I don't know . In any case, because of the difficulty of positioning the moving aircraft/camera at the exact instant of exposure, such work tends to be of lower precision than work done with GCPs.   

1 Reply
chris mills
(@chris-mills)

250+ posts
Posted by: Mark Mayer

My understanding is that it is possible to do photogrammetry without ground control points. It is done by getting the camera's position at the time each photo is taken using RTK. But that is tough to do with full sized aircraft and possibly it not even available on drones. I don't know . In any case, because of the difficulty of positioning the moving aircraft/camera at the exact instant of exposure, such work tends to be of lower precision than work done with GCPs.   

RTK and PPK are widely available on drones. Accuracy depends partly on the fact that a typicla flight may have 500 or more positions and when these stitch together accuracy benefits from the mass of data. However GCP's will always improve the result and in some cases may rescue data which otherwise will not compute to any degree of accuracy.

didit mico
(@didit-mico)
FNG

so, if GCP is helpful....based on my problem, what are the simplest method to make GCP.
(no experience and not many tools for setting up good GCP)
thank you in advance

Page 1 / 2