Community Forums

Share:

Drone work  

Page 1 / 2

LRDay
(@ridge)
2,500+ posts

Going to do my first drone projects. Not my drone but an associate's. Both of us sort of new to it. Will be processed by DroneDepoy.

First project is a gravel county road just over a mile long. Need to do new road design, utility planning, etc. Thinking maybe fly about 200 feet high. What spacing should control targets be placed? Planning on using 12 inch diameter, white plastic bucket lids to mark control points/panels. Would stake them down with a 3/8 inch spike and 2 inch diameter fender washer painted black in center of lid. Is this good enough to mark the control point? Each will be shot with a long RTK shot, at least two times.

Second site is about a 20 acre reservoir site. Need contours. What control point spacing would work here?

Third site is a 5 acre future industrial lot.

Fourth site is a twenty acre subdivision being planned.

Any hints, recommendations would be helpful, such as how high to fly and control point spacing.

26 Replies
Thad
 Thad
(@thad)
250+ posts

Do surveyors have a rule like engineers not to practice in areas you are not competent?

Before I offered any drones services, I have a handful of "practice" site completed so I knew the process before offering the service.

Just curious.

1 Reply
LRDay
(@ridge)

2,500+ posts

In a way these will be practice projects as they are for me.  I'll need to do them over if I don't get it right, no client is going to be billed.  I'm asking questions for help if I can get it from some experienced operators on this forum.

As far as engineers or surveyors I have both licenses so once I gain the proper experience maybe it will apply to both.  You got to start somewhere.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

Some missing info...  if you are using typical p4p, I would drop the height to around 120. Don't allow gaps in a 900 to 1000' complete overlap target to target. On the corridor portion I do targets left side, both sides, right side, both sides, etc., starting and ending with doubles. That will take about an gour longer on this job that the standard 1000' left, right, left. It will tighten your work up and avoid return trips. 

For targets i paint a checkerboard of blue and white using a large piece of cardboard for a template. 60d nail or mag hub in the center and i now have site control for construction. I always fly well beyond the required corridor so my control survives. It keeps the distortion on the published surface low and provides a context ortho for nearby design considerations. Again, the added time and expense is extremely cheap insurance...

Good luck.

1 Reply
LRDay
(@ridge)

2,500+ posts

OK, can fly at 120.  Will need to do in several sections as the elevation gains about 200 feet from one end of road to the other.  probably set panels about every 660 feet and at the 40 lines both sides maybe a hundred feet out from the right of way, doubles at both ends. the road generally goes westerly.  I think this drone has a 12Mpixel camera.

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

I'd suggest reading the fine print at Drone Deploy. Last I read, they reserve the right to redistribute your photos. My clients would not appreciate that.

Lots of other things to consider.

After some trial and lot's of errors, you will get it figured out. To prevent error you may want to consult someone with more experience.

1 Reply
LRDay
(@ridge)

2,500+ posts

I don't care if they redistribute the photos, I'm the client.

I have TBC but not the photogrametry module.  If this looks more promising I'll look into it.

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

A drone with only 12mp camera is likely not to have a 1" sensor, and a mechanical shutter. The P4Pro and P4Pro 2.0 have a 20mp camera with a mechanical shutter.

The free 30 day trial of Drone Deploy does not accept Ground Control points. 

Looks like you may be on track for failure.

3 Replies
LRDay
(@ridge)

2,500+ posts

The drone is a DJI Mavic pro platinum.

Not using 30 day trial of Drone Deploy.  Associate has regular account.

leegreen
(@leegreen)

1,000+ posts
Posted by: LRDay

The drone is a DJI Mavic pro platinum.

Not using 30 day trial of Drone Deploy.  Associate has regular account.

If you have a Mavic 2 Pro, you should update your firmware now!

The Mavic 2 Pro has been causing headaches during data processing because of a geotag issue. The geotags for a portion of the photos are offset by a half-dozen city blocks or so. That is a real hassle for even the most experienced Pix4D user.

LRDay
(@ridge)

2,500+ posts

I'm sort off thinking to put these projects off until I'm more up to speed.  Maybe buy my own drone with a better camera and such.

I'm also looking at software.  Since I'm a full TBC user leaning towards the Trimble software.  The photegrammetry module comes with UAS Master which, if I'm reading right will allow using photos that are not georeferenced, but probably a pain.  UAS Master will allow output of a .jxl from other than Trimble drones so any drone can be used with TBC.

Any comments from those using the UAS Master and TBC on the capability of this software?

Page 1 / 2