Community Forums

Share:

Drone Trespassing lawsuit in WA  

Page 1 / 3

makerofmaps
(@makerofmaps)
500+ posts

This should be interesting.

D’Amico files lawsuits alleging drone overflights and ‘aerial trespass’ at planned shooting facility

“On Dec. 10, an anti-harassment order was filed against a Tarboo Ridge Coalition board member, who we have information is responsible for sending drones onto our property,” Overstreet said. “On Dec. 17, another case was filed, this one against the Tarboo Ridge Coalition (TRC) for the tort of aerial trespass.

“There is no case in the state of Washington on aerial trespass,” Overstreet said, adding that “this case will make new law.”

11 Replies
1 Reply
ansan12001
(@ansan12001)

FNG

We here in California have pretty explict laws on a land surveyors rights and responsibilities concerning encroachment. I always advise for surveyors to leave the CLS associations'  brochure of information at the property in question.  

California law allows for surveyors to legally enter unto private property for surveying purposes.  At times we get asked about the drone flights and simply offer the person asking to review the data from the drone before we leave the site.  They never can zoom in close enough to see small detail, however when I post process in the office I can see survey markings down to under a inch.

In southern California, you will also come across alot of small marijuana farms, which in certain conditions is totally legal now.  If it doesn't harm anyone I don't report it since I only came across the plants as a result of my survey work.  I treat most situations in a similar fashion.

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

I wonder how using a drone to capture aerial images (lines of possession) for a boundary retracement would be treated? If a Land Surveyor is operating the drone and using the data to determine possession lines would the use of a drone be exempt from aerial trespass?

makerofmaps
(@makerofmaps)
500+ posts

Found the sites facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Fort-Discovery-Inc-310175385699157/ Got a post about a bird of prey taking down drones.

WA-ID Surveyor
(@wa-id-surveyor)
500+ posts

While certainly there is a right to privacy there is no restriction or law against flying in the airspace above someones property.  This will be an interesting case to watch.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)
10,000+ posts

The comment thread is interesting.

The FAA regulates airspace which is in the public domain but how far down does airspace go?

Page 1 / 3