Community Forums

Share:

DJI Phantom 4RTK  

Page 1 / 2

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

Anyone purchase a DJI Phantom 4RTK yet?

I would like to test a RINEX data file from this drone, for PPK.

9 Replies
Bill68
(@bill68)
20+ posts

No, but I'm experimenting with an Emlid Reach M+ GNSS mounted on the Phantom 4 using a device made by Tuffwing.  I'm using my own Trimble base and processing PPK with RTKLIB.  I had to write some custom software to correct for timing, yaw, pitch, and roll, but results are impressive. 

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

Bill68,

1. With RTK the Phantom 4RTK uses NTRIP for corrections, what are you using to the send the RTK corrections between the Base and Drone? This normally requires an internet connection via cell service. I'm testing if a peer-to-peer wifi connection will work from Base to Rover where there is no cell coverage.
  2. I have used 1-second epochs, recently I notice others recommended 0.2-second epoch, what EPOCH rate are you using for PPK?

1 Reply
Rapid Mapper
(@rapid-mapper)

5+ posts

@leegreen

Hi Lee, did you manage to sort out on how to get the ntrip corrections over the wifi with no cell coverage? Appreciate if you could give some headsup on how to go about it. Feel free to email me at ard.surspec@gmail.com

TIA

Bill68
(@bill68)
20+ posts

I've just been post processing and recording at 5Hz.  I don't see much advantage to maintaining a real time connection.  Just something else to go wrong.  

1 Reply
SurveyorJosh
(@surveyorjosh)

FNG

@bill68

What is your workflow for PPK to apply corrected coordinates imbeded back into the images? I REALLY want to pull the trigger on a Phantom 4 RTK versus modify my P4P with an aftermarket RTK system such as BAAM.tech or whatever as it hurts overall flight time. This is the last piece of the puzzle I need to wrap my mind around before I do so. What software do you use for mapping? Pix4d? Photoscan/Metashape?

Im using photoscan and I did find the video below on youtube, but I doubt the program does this entire process. It seems to easy lol.

P.S. I am also worried about DJIs business plan. They seem to be moving away from the phantom series, which makes no sense to me as it seems to be the best option. 

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

Would you care to share your custom software for testing? Contact me offline at lee@leegreen.com if you want.

1 Reply
SurveyorJosh
(@surveyorjosh)

FNG

@leegreen

Are you using the BAAM.tech system for PPK? What workflow have you found to work well for you? Shoot me an email Joshw@cswst2.com if you'd prefer to keep it offline as well. 

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: