Community Forums

Computational periscopy or witchdraft?  

RSS

paden cash
(@paden-cash)
5,000+ posts Member
January 28, 2019 2:55 pm  

Retrieving an image from a "shadow".  This is at least intriguing; possibly even fantastic.

News Article

Software has been developed to analyze the color of, and intensity of light reflected off of fairly non-reflective surfaces to create an image of "what you don't see" in a photograph.

In depth explanation

periscopy1

periscopy2

I'm not sure of any surveying applications for this process...but give it some time.  

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago 3 times by paden cash

“Owning a great golf course gives you great power."
- 45th. President of the United States

ReplyQuote
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
January 28, 2019 4:23 pm  

Hey, I locate monuments and set monuments that are behind trees and stuff all the time, lol.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts Member
January 29, 2019 3:24 am  
Posted by: paden cash

I'm not sure of any surveying applications for this process...but give it some time.  

Well there are lots of shadow issues when using drones for aerial images. I am sure this software can help clean up the fuzz around trees, building facades, etc. This could be a huge improvement in this realm, especially during the winter months when the sun is never high and shadows are super long.

Professional Surveyor - MO, AR, KS, KY
sUAS Certified Pilot

ReplyQuote
Brian McEachern
(@mccracker)
250+ posts Member
January 30, 2019 8:17 pm  

This is how the NDVI sensors work for agriculture monitoring and plant health images - even from satellite imagery. The Normalized Difference of Vegetation Index uses the infrared and near infrared light reflections in photographs to depict how well an area of vegetation is thriving. 

ndvi example

Here's one from an ortho of a 2.5 acre lot in rural suburbia 

04Fuentes PlantHealth sm

These images and the concepts behind the original post could be used to indicate where a road may have been at one time, given that the plant health over top of the subsurface may not be as reflective as the surrounding right of way for one. The images may also lead the surveyor to a low area that's not obvious on the ground in a large tract. Modern technology can be used in a number of ways if you know how to utilize it for an intended purpose.

Formerly McCracker

You can't park there!

paden cash liked
ReplyQuote
Javad GNSS

Working

Please Login or Register