Community Forums

Share:

"Autonomous Land Surveyor" Drone Finalist In $3M Genius NY Competition  

Page 2 / 2

Zoidberg
(@zoidberg)
100+ posts

Neat idea... But I've never seen a construction site that looked like the one in the video. Clear, flat, empty, soft... Most of the jobs I've been on haven't fully been cleared, there is garbage/construction waste/debris all over the place, there is equipment zipping around, rocks or left over pavement/concrete... Plenty of surfaces that won't accept a gently pressed nail. As with anything, it will work great under flawless conditions. I get that they are working on it and it will improve greatly the longer they stay with it. It's cool. I don't do construction layout anymore, but if I did I wouldn't feel threatened yet. Also, it's hard enough to get an operator to not run down a 30" wood stake with fluorescent flagging flapping generously. Those nails won't last. And, having to scan the QR code of each nail to see what it would have said on a stake...? Not ready yet.

I wonder who prints those QR flags... And who lines them up correctly in the queue...

Wendell
Admin
(@wendell)
2,500+ posts

It might be time for me to update a comic I drew that was published in POB in 2003:

Survinator 2

Maybe this one also:

Wrong Points

gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts

There have been ground bots for years that lay out solar farms etc.

If it does the job, and meets the accuracy desired, then I cannot see any reason why someone would not want to use a tool where it makes sense. And setting out stakes does not expressly require a license.

There are a lot of "bots" already in work processes (especially in construction), not just the electro-mechanical types, but in automated software processes. We're not going to be able to will those away, or stop there being more. But we can prepare to become "coaches" or "conductors" for the bots to come. Hope it is OK to link something I just wrote on the subject.

Page 2 / 2