Community Forums

Share:

Aerial Targets  

Page 1 / 10

Renegade2438
(@renegade2438)
50+ posts

What is everyone using for reusable Aerial Targets for the drone surveys?

60 Replies
4 Replies
Rick Taylor
(@rick-taylor)

50+ posts

We've been using 4 white painted 4' lath arranged in a "+" around a spike, oriented more or less cardinally. Good visibility in the imagery, easy to carry in a lath bag. Also have some homemade targets made from 4 street name sign blanks, large hole drilled near one end and connected with a pivot made from pipe fittings which allows them to be fanned out for target use and folded together for carrying.

moosetmj
(@moosetmj)

50+ posts

We've been using 4 white painted 4' lath arranged in a "+" around a spike

Can you post some photos?

Rick Taylor
(@rick-taylor)

50+ posts

Here's a "drone's eye" view of our lath target, cropped from the full size image, using an eBee flying at 385 ft AGL.

Target cropped

moosetmj
(@moosetmj)

50+ posts

Thanks for the photo Rick.

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

Not reuseable, but cheap enough to be expendable. I recently set out targets that were 2.5" x 4" red and white stickers. The kind I've seen used for years, but I can't find a picture on line anywhere. I bought mine at Portland Precision Instruments. They are made by "Duramark Survey Products".  The targets were perfectly visible in the aerial photos. And would have been at half the size.

Target

Once upon a time I had my business cards printed with the red/white checker pattern on the back. In those days I was stapling them to lath for backsite targets. When I get into drone flying myself I'll probably do that again.

I've seen plastic cards of similar size with the red/white target on them designed to be hung on plumb bob strings. They would probably work great for reuseable aerial targets. 

Squirltech
(@squirl)
250+ posts

Same as aerial targets for larger aircraft only smaller in scale (obviously).

Material, paint, photos.

Cameron Watson PLS
(@cameron-watson-pls)
250+ posts

I made a bunch of these.  Cut a couple sheets of hardboard into 2'x2' squares.  The black and white is that sticky-back drawer liner vinyl stuff for your kitchen cabinets.  They work pretty good.  Otherwise we just paint 6" dots with a Mag nail in the center for hard surface and parking lots. 

GCP

1 Reply
Renegade2438
(@renegade2438)

50+ posts
Posted by: Cameron Watson PLS

I made a bunch of these.  Cut a couple sheets of hardboard into 2'x2' squares.  The black and white is that sticky-back drawer liner vinyl stuff for your kitchen cabinets.  They work pretty good.  Otherwise we just paint 6" dots with a Mag nail in the center for hard surface and parking lots. 

GCP

That's a very good idea. We may use paint in parking lots or pavement, but our first project is on a soil site so a hard target is needed. I went to harbor freight and bought the 25"x25" foam mats, will use your idea for the white squares as the mats are already black. They are lite also.

I have done a ton of Photo ID points for photogrammetry projects, just the first time where a drone was required.

I like the white lath idea also.

Keep them coming.

thebionicman
(@thebionicman)
2,500+ posts

I made several from masonite and tiles. Tracking time, cost and results we paint nearly all of them now. Alternating squares of white and flo blue with a nail in the center. Point number at top right, read from the south.

Page 1 / 10