Community Forums

Share:

Aerial Mapping or Lidar Data in Madagascar  

Timothy.McKinney
(@timothy-mckinney)
FNG

My coworker is partnering with Engineers Without Borders on a  project helping a remote village in Madagascar install an underground system to transport water. He is in need of topographic mapping for the area. Does anyone know of lidar data or aerial topography that is available for purchase or could be donated for the project?

Cheers,

Tim

3 Replies
2 Replies
Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)

500+ posts

Digtal Globe provides satellite imagery up to 31cm resolution but at a cost. The European Sentinel program has free remotely sensed data and processing software which may be of some use. Depends on what you need though.

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)

1,000+ posts

I worked on just such a project for EWB in Ecuador. I did find satellite imagery but it was not real useful other than as a general background. We went out on the ground and located the main waterline route from the source to the tank and then all of the houses to be served using RTX on a Trimble R10. This was a very mountainous region.  

Timothy.McKinney
(@timothy-mckinney)
FNG

Thanks for the input! I’ll take a look at your suggestions.

Our company has the equipment to survey the site but the there are no surveyors on the EWB team. Additionally there is little to no power available/computer processing and they must design and install the pipe while they are onsite and within a four day window. Ideally having a ground surface before arriving would be best but we are unaware if that would be obtainable.

If not I will probably end up training the team on how to do some rudimentary survey so they can capture the ground while on site, all while using instruments that do not require batteries. Sounds like fun to me!