Community Forums

Want some ice cream...

Share:

Want some ice cream?  

Tom Bushelman
(@tom-bushelman)
100+ posts

My dad used to ask the grandkids if they wanted any ice cream, even going so far as to list several flavors.  When of course they said yes they wanted some he would say, "we don't have any".  They all learned to be skeptical about anything grandpa said.

I just came back from the annual surveying conference with much the same skepticism.  I had been reading ads about the latest and greatest technology and how it would do everything faster, better, stronger, and could substitute as a dance partner if necessary.  This technology is awesome.  I'm sold.  I walk around the trade show and talk to all of the vendors just to make sure I'm on the right track.  I believe I've made the right choice so I go to the vendor of my choice and say I'll take it, excited as a boy at prom.  Guess what they said.  "We don't have any".  And maybe not for a year or two!  There I am with wallet in hand for advertised products and am still absolutely crushed.  I have the same name as my dad.  Maybe the karma bus mistook me for dad and ran me over.

5 Replies
3 Replies
gschrock
(@gschrock)

2,500+ posts
Posted by: Tom Bushelman

My dad used to ask the grandkids if they wanted any ice cream, even going so far as to list several flavors.  When of course they said yes they wanted some he would say, "we don't have any".  They all learned to be skeptical about anything grandpa said.

I just came back from the annual surveying conference with much the same skepticism.  I had been reading ads about the latest and greatest technology and how it would do everything faster, better, stronger, and could substitute as a dance partner if necessary.  This technology is awesome.  I'm sold.  I walk around the trade show and talk to all of the vendors just to make sure I'm on the right track.  I believe I've made the right choice so I go to the vendor of my choice and say I'll take it, excited as a boy at prom.  Guess what they said.  "We don't have any".  And maybe not for a year or two!  There I am with wallet in hand for advertised products and am still absolutely crushed.  I have the same name as my dad.  Maybe the karma bus mistook me for dad and ran me over.

I hear ya. I go to too many trade shows and read too many tech blogs... have seen a few things that got promised but did not gel when certain design and production realities set in.

For the most part, in the surveying, geospatial, and construction fields the vendors are pretty good about not overplaying their hands. Big reputations mean a lot to the customers that buy hundreds or thousands of high ticket sophisticated gear... can't take nay chances in productivity on megabuck projects with the unproven or on vaporware.

What I've learned from visiting factories, talking to dev teams (and geez they make you sign non-disclosures), and testing gear for them is that most (if not all) major innovations take many years - in complete secrecy - to develop, design, test, beta, retest, and test some more before any of us ever see one.  And when news does leak out and competitors try to rush out a competing product without taking the years to dev, it might end up being a gimmicky shortfall. This goes for many consumer products as well. The steps are fairly standard: idea-design-build-test-test-test-announce-release. The problem with shuffling that deck is that sometimes even the most well intended new ideas may never come to fruition (so many we never hear about-hence no disappointment).

Remember how the Segway was going to change the world. Well, it didn't live up to the hype that was pushed foreword folks had a chance to use them. They did turn out to be useful for a number of uses, and parts of the balancing technology has had very positive impact on the design of articulated wheelchairs but no major revolution. Or the Delorean... my buddy can still on for hours about how his is the greatest career built... and don't ask about the gull wing doors..

I applaud any and all innovation... but there are practical and sensible reason why there are folks don't put window stickers on car windows before they are  actuality installed on a car.

JKinAK
(@jkinak)

250+ posts
Posted by: Tom Bushelman

...  I had been reading ads about the latest and greatest technology and how it would do everything faster, better, stronger, and could substitute as a dance partner if necessary.  This technology is awesome.  I'm sold. 

What are they promising you that you can't get?

Tom Bushelman
(@tom-bushelman)

100+ posts

I don't want to bash a brand that I really do like, I was just sold on all of "latest and greatest" in technology.  I do not want to buy something that will be superceded by better equipment in a month.

Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

Another thing to remember is that dealers have to buy this stuff from the factory and then try to find a customer. For brand new whiz bang products that can be a challenge. It 's not like it's a can of soup. Work with you dealer, maybe they can get what you want when they know they have a buyer.

Just A. Surveyor
(@just-a-surveyor)
1,000+ posts

You should make a lesson out of those guys and kill them and leave their bodies where they lay as a reminder to others to not screw with your feelings and emotions. 

That'll work.