Community Forums

Trimble DL App & Lo...

Share:

Trimble DL App & Logging Static  

Page 1 / 2

gbunk
(@gbunk)
20+ posts

We have a pair of old Trimble R6's that haven't been used for awhile. I'd like to start using them as static units. I see Trimble has the Trimble DL App to make static logging simple.  Assuming the units have appropriate firmware to connect & work, what can I expect using the app? Can I start one unit with my phone, then disconnect from it to go setup & connect to the 2nd unit? I think I read somewhere that the DL App requires you to stay connected to the receiver during the duration of the survey, is this correct? If so, then how do you start multiple receivers to collect at the same time?

I also have a Ranger 3 running Survey Pro with our SP80 receivers. Can I start logging static with it without going thru receiver configuration as base or rover? Any tips on this?  I'm used to Carlson SurvCE where I could just connect to any receiver at any time to start/stop static logging without any interference with the RTK survey. I've even installed SurvCE in demo mode on another data collector just to use it for that purpose - think that's the better way to go this time around too?

Thanks,

-Garry

12 Replies
(@johnson5144)
100+ posts

The app information on the Google Play Store is a bit misleading as it states the R6 is supported, but Trimble responds to a review and states “Trimble DL supports GNSS receivers with FW 4.64 and higher. This means you need a Trimble R8 Model 2 or newer.”

gbunk
(@gbunk)
20+ posts

I saw that and assumed an R6 could have firmware 4.64 or higher, so it can't? 

Any comment on Survey Pro's ability/use!

-Garry

gbunk
(@gbunk)
20+ posts

I just checked Trimble's website and I see the same firmware available for an R8 is also for an R6.  The catch seems to be that to upgrade firmware you have to have an active warranty (though I'm not sure how this is detected). I guess I'll just have to see what firmware version is currently installed .

-Garry

(@sireath)
250+ posts

You have to check the firmware of your receiver to see if it is compatible. I am using R4 Model 3 FW 4.81 for reference. 

My workflow is to let my receivers sit static and record into the receiver. When all are done at the end of the day, I fire up the app and connect one by one via bluetooth and download the static files and email them out. Saves the hassle of finding and messing around with cables and windows mobile sync. 

2 Replies
gbunk
(@gbunk)

20+ posts

Ah, so you can disconnect your phone and the unit will still record? 

-Garry

(@sireath)

250+ posts

Yes but initially i do not conenct to the app at all. My receivers have been set to record when it powers on. So it will store in the internal battery. if you use the app to power on and start recording, it will record into the app. 

Page 1 / 2