Community Forums

Testing Procedures ...

Share:

Testing Procedures for Legacy GPS Gear for Week Rollover on April 6-7  

Page 2 / 3

Paul in PA
(@paul-in-pa)
5,000+ posts

Since you are not doing a project on the afternoon of the 6, continuity is not important. Collect 4 hours before 0:00 UTC and 4 hours after, either it works or it doesn't work. Not much you can do about it until you know it does not work.

Paul in PA

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

Won't the almanac update during your long session without any other action?  I thought receivers got an update multiple times per hour.

------------

This thread reminds me of my test of running a session through a leap second.  The receiver didn't figure it out.  And I started it, left home for a party, and came back to find the battery run fully down and therefore frozen.  Not good for SLA batteries, and it went downhill fast on subsequent uses.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

I just might be able to figure out how to modify a RINEX file after April 7 to keep my Leica gear from being boat anchors.

I think you can do this with teqc by explicitly specifying the GPS week number.

1 Reply
Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)

500+ posts

If necessary, I'm hoping that TECQ will correct the time stamp.  I guess I'm intellectually curious as to what will actually happen during the rollover.  The extra collection time on a Saturday afternoon will not be a bother.

Gene Kooper
(@gene-kooper)
500+ posts

From my understanding, the almanac isn't updated multiple times every hour.  It takes a little over 12 minutes to download the almanac, but it can be used for a while.  My dealer suggested reformatting the system after April 7 so that a new almanac will automatically be downloaded.

1 Reply
hpalmer
(@hpalmer)

50+ posts

I will be watching to see what happens.  We still have 530's two of which we still use for RTK.  Great hardware and firmware.  We still use LGO.  I have had problems with reformatting and with a corrupt flash memory. Leica's John Essig in their Virginia tech service office bailed me out with maybe a 5 or 10 minute keystroke process - still not sure what he did but he said they do not support the 530 any more.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts

Hey Jim, weren't you involved with the "Fix Week" patch for Trimble receivers?

I wasn't involved in that effort, but I had a similar problem with some old Topcon receivers that used Trimble boards similar to the 4700.  I wrote some custom software to deal with that.  It does, indeed, sound like the same issue.

Page 2 / 3