Share:
Notifications
Clear all

South G6 or RUID R6 GNSS experience  

Page 2 / 2

kotuku4
(@kotuku4)
100+ posts

Check the specifications.  We run the G1-s that is dual frequency, and 220 channels, no tilt/ e-bubble.  The G1 Plus is triple and usually 336 channels.

Some of the newer units, such as the Stonex have 800 channels.

The G6 on ebay may not be the new 2020 model, with latest board, firmware and IMU. 

Cadast
(@cadast)
5+ posts

Has anyone tried using Trimble controller software with the G1 or G6? 

ttt242
(@ttt242)
5+ posts

Running a G1 or G6 on Trimble software will not work i guess. But survCE will work on Trimble TSC3 dc  http://www.survce.com/supportedHardware

So you can run survCE on a Trimble datacollector with a South G1, G1+ or a G6 antenna.

6 Replies
Cadast
(@cadast)

5+ posts

The G1 & G6 spec sheet states the data format:

"Static data format: STH, Rinex2.x and Rinex3.x etc
Differential data format: CMR+, CMRx, RTCM 2.1, RTCM 2.3, RTCM 3.0, RTCM 3.1, RTCM 3.2
GPS output data format: NMEA 0183, PJK plane coordinates, binary code, Trimble GSOF
Network model support: VRS, FKP, MAC, supporting NTRIP protocol"

The G1 has the Trimble BD970 board in it and communicates the proprietary Trimble GSOF format, one may assume the G1 will communicate with Trimble Access and TerraSync but there is no documentation supporting whether it does or not. So it's a bit of a mystery until a real person can confirm it. I would be nice to figure this out somehow.

Many of the projects we do is for the government, they require most of gnss files submitted in the encrypted Trimble formats so they can verify the data.   

ttt242
(@ttt242)

5+ posts
Posted by: @cadast

So it's a bit of a mystery until a real person can confirm it. I would be nice to figure this out somehow.

Best to test before buying.... Don’t think this will work

kotuku4
(@kotuku4)

100+ posts

Yes but the trimble terrasync will not recognise/configure or connect to the G1 receiver

Cadast
(@cadast)

5+ posts

Is this a known fact by experience? Or assumed? The Why would the GSOF data format be listed in the G1 spec sheet, with the fact Trimble GSOF format only works with Trimble software? Makes no sense...

ttt242
(@ttt242)

5+ posts
Posted by: @kotuku4

Yes but the trimble terrasync will not recognise/configure or connect to the G1 receiver

That is indeed probably the problem. Output format can be the same but you have to connect the dc with the antenna. Survey brands are very  protective...

Joan_Hammer
(@joan_hammer)

20+ posts

@ttt242 Isn't the antenna parameters configurable in the Configuration Manger?

Take the next step in your career, PPI will get you there

Joan_Hammer
(@joan_hammer)
20+ posts

I too am curious, and considering getting a couple of these G1 units. But I too am confined to using Trimble TerraSync & Pathfinder Office.

Reading the specification documents it appears that it might work, has anybody tried connecting the G1 to TerraSync?  

1 Reply
Cadast
(@cadast)

5+ posts

@joan_hammer

I don't think anyone here can give a clear experienced answer for you. You'll have to splurge and play China roulette to find out. Anyone here that has a G1 or G6 can obtain a free temporary trial of TerraSync and give it a shot, I suppose... Good luck Joan!   

Page 2 / 2
Scroll to Top