Community Forums

Someone at NGS is e...

Share:

Someone at NGS is editing recovery reports, and getting them wrong  

Page 1 / 3

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

I see that DSWORLD does some conversions and slight format changes (US-metric, SW becomes SOUTHWEST, etc).

But I'm seeing other edits to my reports, apparently by someone who doesn't understand or like the old terse reporting style, to "improve" the sentences.  Some of the edits aren't completely benign. 

A DSWORLD log on my computer shows I posted the following:

RR BED IS NOW A DRIVEWAY AT ADDRESS 2835. POST IS QUITE

VISIBLE FROM ROAD, 1 FOOT SOUTH OF AN ORANGE POST, AND PROJECTS 8 INCHES.

This came out as:

NK0091'THE RAILROAD BED IS NOW A DRIVEWAY AT ADDRESS 2835. THE POST IS

NK0091'VISIBLE FROM THE ROAD AND THE MARK IS 1 FT (0.3 M) SOUTH OF THE POST.

Now I'll admit there is a bit of ambiguity because I should have said "concrete post is visible", but the prior entry ends by saying the disk is in a concrete post and I would think most who are familiar with these reports would realize I was talking about a (concrete) post south of an orange post.

------------

On another one I reported that local residents remembered a building that "burned decades ago"

That one came out "BURNED DECADES ABOVE THE GROUND"

Say what?

------------

This is the old game of "telephone" where paraphrasing risks significant changes the meaning.  I've seen several other edits lately.  I'm afraid one of them is going to make a report flat out wrong.

Have others seen this sort of thing?

14 Replies
1 Reply
Jim in AZ
(@jamesf1)

100+ posts

I was under the impression that NGS had no funding for monitoring Mark Recovery input, so I'm not sure they are editing anything.

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

The process isn't automatic, as it takes an arbitrary time up to a few weeks after submission before the recovery reports appear.  And I can compare what DSWORLD recorded in the log on my computer with what appears in the data sheet, so yes there is editing.

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

I have many keyboard, spellcheck, phrase fixer and text editor filter boxes that when all are checked there will be times that what comes out is not what I said and/or wrote.

When keeping notes, making hand computations, diagrams,  reports, etc, they were signed and dated and if a crew then all names were in the report.

Surveyor's reports should not be reworded by anyone other than the original surveyor.

Rewording should take a new report signed and dated by the author.

In this case it is probably AI, artificial intelligence, attempting to be a low grade censor to any grammar failings.

Jim in AZ
(@jamesf1)
100+ posts
Posted by: A Harris

I have many keyboard, spellcheck, phrase fixer and text editor filter boxes that when all are checked there will be times that what comes out is not what I said and/or wrote.

When keeping notes, making hand computations, diagrams,  reports, etc, they were signed and dated and if a crew then all names were in the report.

Surveyor's reports should not be reworded by anyone other than the original surveyor.

Rewording should take a new report signed and dated by the author.

In this case it is probably AI, artificial intelligence, attempting to be a low grade censor to any grammar failings.

Most of the Mark Recovery reports submitted to NGS are done so by Geocachers, not Surveyors.

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)
250+ posts

I've spoken to Deb Brown, the woman in charge of the updates etc.  She's doing her level best ( see what i did there...;)  ) to get the data cleaned up.  They just need some interns to set upon it like a horde of Flying Monkeys and get it knocked out.  Should be a credit based class for new GIS and Survey students to gain some research skills and learn the value of depositing their newly found info when using the monuments.  I'd like to rant more, but I'm behind on adding my comments to about 10 recently used monuments.......    ?  ? 

Page 1 / 3