Community Forums

R10-2 with 672 chan...

Share:

R10-2 with 672 channels  

Page 7 / 8

I. Ben Havin
(@i-ben-havin)
250+ posts

For those who may be interested, learned today from my Trimble dealer that the R10(model 1) will no longer be supported. When, my support ends in 5 weeks, I will not be able to extend the support, and no firmware updates will be available after that date.

2 Replies
squowse
(@squowse)

500+ posts

@i-ben-havin

What a scam. They were sold as future proof, and just as the extra constellations are getting going they make it gradually obsolescent. I'm guessing it would need further updates in time to use the newest constellations properly.

Plumb Bill
(@plumb-bill)

1,000+ posts

@i-ben-havin

There is a model 1 version 1 and a model 1 version 2.  It's the 1.1 (the OG) that will be reaching EOL.  

One thing I will absolutely Guaran-dang-tee you:  If anyone (Trimble, Leica, Javad, TopCon, Acme Inc.) figures out a way to make GNSS work in the woods slam-dunk real-time, it won't come by way of your "next free firmware update".  It will be tied to some new subscription service, or some new whiz-bang piece of hardware that will cost top dollar.  And why wouldn't it?

FairleyWell
(@fairleywell)
50+ posts

What do you expect?  If you went to a car dealer, would you expect them to still be selling a 1978 CJ5?  Of course you wouldn't.  Of course Trimble is going to sell a new model every few years.   How about your computer?  Is the Compaq 486 you bought in 1992 still a viable part of your surveying operation?  This goes along with Just A. Surveyor's question about low-balling  yourself into poverty just to get the job.  At some point you need to update your equipment, your pricing structure, your vehicle, your office, etc.   Why is it the company that makes the equipment's fault? 

What I'm trying to say, is that it is not a scam.  Topcon, Leica, and all the others do the same thing, but I never hear anyone complaining about them. 

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts

I'd expect that if they said "future-proof", or similar wording, that they would be that. 

N

Plumb Bill
(@plumb-bill)
1,000+ posts

I never took future-proof to mean it was indestructible or parts would be available for 100 years.  Only that it wouldn't "stop working" because of evolution of the GNSS systems.

It probably wasn't the best choice of marketing speak, though, because it's been my experience if you don't upgrade firmware your performance doesn't "freeze" to the way it worked at one point in time - but rather it slowly degrades as the constellations change.  New signals are seen as noise, etc.  This was the most apparent with the R8 model 1 when GLONASS came on line.  It messed up the SNR to the point you HAD to upgrade the firmware if you wanted them to work as well as they used to.  That is why I would take issue with the phrase "Future Proof":  if their planning on not releasing any new firmware updates...

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts

So the version 1 was only about 1000 units, the version 2 came out after mid 2014. Unfortunately both of my R10's are V1. It appears there will still be firmware updates put out but not hardware extended warranties. Now that means that of my nine Trimble receivers only one (new alloy) has an extended hardware warranty available. And it has lifetime firmware upgrades

Page 7 / 8