christ lambrecht
(@christ-lambrecht)
1,000+ posts
Topic Tags
29 Replies
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts

Great unit, now make that giant DC small and light. 

11 Replies
Lee D
(@lee-d)

1,000+ posts

@mightymoe curious as to whether you've tried the TSC7 or if you're just going off photos.

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@lee-d

Yeah, I've tried it, I like the little android, but I still want a hard keyboard, not that I'm hard to please or anything.

The TSC7 is too big for my kinda work.

I don't wander around very often on foot, unless it's in difficult terrain, brushy, creek crossings, steep, so then you want as little to carry as possible. 

For now I'm not buying anyway, no matter how good it is, I'm doing fine with what I have. 

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@lee-d

Of the two I would give up the hard keyboard for the compact android, no question everyone in the office would also, I don't even have to ask to speak for them about that.

RobertUSA
(@robertusa)

20+ posts

@mightymoe I can't imagine using a phone with a GNSS receiver for locations, unless I was just out locating water valves for a city where I only need to push 1 button and never change a code or see a map. So a GIS use it might be fine.  Once you have to be typing codes an on-screen "keyboard" is near a joke.  Trimble's Recon wasn't popular because of no physical keyboard.

FL/GA
Supporter
(@flga-2)

2,500+ posts

@mightymoe

That thing on the pole is a DC? Cripes, it’s bigger than some laptops. 😎 

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@flga

exactly!!

RobertUSA
(@robertusa)

20+ posts

@flga no, not even close. 7" screen. Where do they sell laptops that size?

FL/GA
Supporter
(@flga-2)

2,500+ posts
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts

@flga

IMHO, it would be great to be able to finish a complete topo drawing in the field, so one doesn't have to go back (or guess) to pick things up that were missed. Our current limitations to that are the size of the DC and perhaps the software - we survey with SurvCE but model with Civil 3D in the office - plus a strong desire to get out of the field, for various reasons.

This fellow seems to have it going good, and I'm sure I've seen a video where an even bigger pad is off the pole and is slung from the neck, against the chest, like a ice-cream seller.

Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts
Snowshoes
(@snowshoes)

20+ posts

@richard-imrie

This picture made me laugh so hard I spit out my coffee.....I wonder if this is what I look like running around with the TSC7? I have the same barber as that fella so there's a couple similarities.

In all seriousness, I would have carried a brick around in my vest if it was the only way to ditch Windows Mobile.  It was getting pretty painful.

christ lambrecht
(@christ-lambrecht)
1,000+ posts

Moe, you don't like the TDC600? I prefer the full keyboard from TSC7.

TD600

7 Replies
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@christ-lambrecht

I want the keyboard and compact and light. 

RobertUSA
(@robertusa)

20+ posts

@mightymoe Depends on what you're doing. The SX10 needs a wide screen controller to display video from the instrument. A GNSS only controller could use a smaller screen, but why?   Even using the SX10 I often have the map on the screen so I can see which code I was using on a line, and see if my line coding has an error so I can fix codes right away, leading to nearly "finished" mapping upon field work completion because no lines are out of place. All that needs to be done at times is connect lines from different JOB files. With a TSC3 screen size, there's no room to show map and rod/code data fields. Some people don't like change, I embrace it.

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@robertusa

I don't mind change in any way. Since I've moved from T2's and chains that speaks for itself. Not wanting a bulky DC attached to my rod hardly counts as being against change. 

Would you want a desk, keyboard, mouse, PC towers, monitor sitting next to the SX10 for each shot? I do know some surveyors who did just that, they had a mini office set up in a van, drove to every job that way. 

That kinda change isn't for me. I want small and light, a hard keyboard is nice but I would rather have the cell phone DC than the laptop one. 

As far as coding and field to finish that horse left the barn in 1986 for me. Been doing it ever since, even in Autocad 12. It is hardly something new, been around now for at least 35 years and available for surveyors and engineers as an option. 

RobertUSA
(@robertusa)

20+ posts

@mightymoe what a ridiculous statement.

R.J. Schneider
(@rj-schneider)

1,000+ posts

@robertusa

I think you've narrowed everyone else's experience down to your current operation with the SX10 and Tsc7, and the realities in the field just don't support this.

That Tsc7 is slick but, it would be considerably more manageable if the pole/dc clamp worked with maybe an articulating arm

to collapse it in line with the pole. Even the Tsc3 can be awkward when having to wheedle your way between obstructions.

With the Tsc3 you can at least detach it and throw in the back pouch on the vest, when things get tight.

Rover83
(@rover83)

250+ posts

@rj-schneider

For sure. I would have hated the TSC7 when I was doing remote work through very rough terrain and carrying everything by pack. The 3 is super easy to pack around, despite the disadvantages of the Mobile OS.

The TSC7 really shines in urban work with lots of details (particularly with the SX10), or construction staking where you need to be able to see all design elements as well as COGO routines. But that awesome screen and large chassis become much less critical with certain jobs.

I think the TDC600 will sort-of fill the gap. That being said, I love my physical keyboard...

MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)

5,000+ posts

@rover83

started with the yellow brick, then there was the box of knowledge (AKA the ACU) with it's steering wheel, then the TSCe, TSC2, TSC3. The e, 2 and 3, are similar size wise the ACU was small, but the battery was large. Nothing has been perfect, but I would love the TDC with a light keyboard. I do like a physical keyboard, 99% of my work is GPS only, I don't need to spend time coding. Having the cell phone, DC, camera all in one is appealing. I use my phone often in the field, pictures, notes, maps it's a workhorse. 

X-PAD Ultimate from iGage

Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)
500+ posts

I have an R12 less than a week and it's already outdated. Will this be a software upgrade on exisiting R12?

3 Replies
Eric Kara
(@eric-kara)

100+ posts

@totalsurv

To me this looks like a hardware change. Looks like they finally got an IMU into the system (no small feat).

I'd contact your dealer. Sometimes when this happens the manufacturer will have a program for customers to pay the difference and update their equipment if you purchased it within a curtain timeline. 

christ lambrecht
(@christ-lambrecht)

1,000+ posts

@totalsurv

No software upgrade possible, trade in as sugested by Kara may work.

1. let’s see what it will cost

2. And compare with Leica’s new GS18I with camera.

I’ve been waiting for2 yrs for this feature!

Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)

500+ posts

@christ-lambrecht

Trade in after a week!

Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)
1,000+ posts

BTW, FWIW, I can tell by the accent that the main guy in the OP video is a NZ'er.

3 Replies
jim.cox
Supporter
(@jimcox)

1,000+ posts

@richard-imrie

I concur.

But the video was not filmed here - car number plate is foreign and the geography / geomorphology is wrong.

My guess is Westminster, Colorado

Jitterboogie
(@jitterboogie)

500+ posts

@jimcox

It Is indeed,and Boulder too.  I used to work with those guys at the same company before they all got picked upby Trimble. Scott( bloody Kiwi), Jason, and Dave.  Dave is also a Cfeds and was a fun surveyor to work with.

FairleyWell
Supporter
(@fairleywell)

50+ posts

@richard-imrie

You are correct, he is a NZ'er.  That's Scott.  Until recently he was one of the better support guys at Trimble.  

Page 1 / 2
Scroll to Top