Community Forums

Hiper V vs Hiper V+...

Share:

Hiper V vs Hiper V+10 antenna model with OPUS  

Page 1 / 4

standing on the corner
(@standing-on-the-corner)
50+ posts

If I understand correctly the difference between antenna TPSHIPER_V+10 and TPSHIPER_V is a 10cm adapter.

So in theory, TPSHIPER_V+10 used with a 2.000m input height should produce the same result as TPSHIPER_V used with a 2.100m height, correct?

Submitting the same file to OPUS, using both parameters, yields a difference of 0.052m between the two.

ANT NAME: TPSHIPER_V     NONE             # FIXED AMB:   70 /   73   : 96%

ARP HEIGHT: 2.100                           OVERALL RMS: 0.016(m)

EL HGT:         137.239(m)   0.009(m)               135.968(m)   0.009(m)

ORTHO HGT:         169.298(m)   0.028(m) [NAVD88 (Computed using GEOID12B)]

(datasheet elev. is 169.404, this solution is -0.106)

ANT NAME: TPSHIPER_V+10   NONE             # FIXED AMB:   70 /   73   : 96%

ARP HEIGHT: 2.000                           OVERALL RMS: 0.016(m)

EL HGT:         137.291(m)   0.008(m)               136.021(m)   0.008(m)

ORTHO HGT:         169.350(m)   0.028(m) [NAVD88 (Computed using GEOID12B)]

(datasheet elev. is 169.404, this solution is -0.054)

Any thoughts? 

Topic Tags
26 Replies
fct
 fct
(@fct)
5+ posts

i have had the same problem I just use the antenna option without the 10 cm adapter and it’s correct but there is for sure a problem with the antenna option with the adapter 

1 Reply
standing on the corner

50+ posts

using a 2m fixed height tripod and the .1m adapter:

ANT NAME: TPSHIPER_V     NONE             # FIXED AMB:   70 /   73   : 96%

ARP HEIGHT: 2.100                           OVERALL RMS: 0.016(m)

EL HGT:         137.239(m)   0.009(m)               135.968(m)   0.009(m)

ORTHO HGT:         169.298(m)   0.028(m) [NAVD88 (Computed using GEOID12B)]

(datasheet elev. is 169.404, this solution is -0.106)

-0.106   I have 3 other opus shares on the point that hit at -0.013, -0.052 and -0.033. I have a hard time believing that "antenna option without the 10 cm adapter and it’s correct"

I think the other model (+10) is closer to truth.

Aaron K Burns
(@aaron-k-burns)
20+ posts

Does the adapter give the shape of the antenna signal a different shape perhaps? I remember seeing sketches of different antennas and why it's important to note your receiver so the vertical offset is to the center of this shape. I always assumed that maybe the adapter changed that by a different amount than just 10cm but never checked it.

1 Reply
standing on the corner

50+ posts

it would appear so, see NGS reply below.

Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts

With the ground plane that is probably inside the antenna assembly, another piece of metal underneath should have minimal impact on the signals.

Can you use the antenna on a fiberglass or metal pole/tripod with no warning in the manual about degraded accuracy?

1 Reply
Aaron K Burns
(@aaron-k-burns)

20+ posts

I do not know for certain but it is odd that they've listed both on OPUS. I had to brush up to talk about this somewhat intelligently. When looking at NGS antenna calibration pages on their website ( https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/ANTCAL/# ), I have no clue what all of the info means...The Hiper V and Hiper V +10cm have different values for the antenna electric phase centers. I'm not saying there isn't any error in the +10cm, I am just saying it probably has a different phase center. Which means the diffirence between the 2 probably isn't exactly 10cm.

Bill93, On your point about the antenna structure, I am sure you would be correct in assuming that about the 10cm adapter but mine is only a theory as to why they may have 2 different antennas listed. What you said can't be true in all situations though because NGS has cautioned of multipathing error during bluebooking or it's "GPS on Benchmarks" campaign. Large metal objects like RR tracts, guardrails, vehicles, OHE, etc are very bad for best GPS observation results. I think it is safe to assume a 10cm metal adapter right under the receiver might have some electromagnetic effects on the signal and do some further digging in that general direction. The NGS has a video that explains multipath and antenna phase centers that was helpful for me too. https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/corbin/class_description/Reducing_Error_Sources/

Aaron K Burns
(@aaron-k-burns)
20+ posts

I also wanted to comment on the 0.052 difference in that the original poster shows as a difference between the two test runs he observed. I've printed this page a while back from the Topcon Hiper V manual and actually have handwritten the 0.0552m on the paper before this post came up and just realized that the slant mark versus bottom mount HI may be the problem?

Hiper V Antenna

Page 1 / 4