Community Forums

Emlid Launches REAC...

Share:

Emlid Launches REACH RS2 Multi-Band RTK GNSS Receiver with Centimeter Precision  

Page 3 / 3

lukenz
(@lukenz)
20+ posts

For New Zealand its a non-starter given the radio frequencies we have to use are 463-470mHz range and cell coverage may be ok in the cities but not for rural work.  Guessing the frequencies must suit the US or Europe users?

1 Reply
detritalgeo
(@detritalgeo)

50+ posts

In Canada, I believe 430-470 MHz. must be licensed where as the split-spectrum 900 MHz is license free?

gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts

Well, it turns out the new Emlid is the real-deal... or at least real enough.

I had been pestering Emlid to get a hold of a pair of them to see if they were an improvement on the older models... to see if they were closer to survey-grade, rather than the older mapping grade ones. They did not have any in the US (yet), but their rep was at a UAS conference last week, and I asked a surveyor bud (who was attending) to take the one they had outside and shoot both ends of a tape, then check inverses.  They connected to a local base, and got results within 0.02-0.03' every time. Limited features for sure, probably limited support (until they have more a presence in the US), but a new realm of price point...

Of course, this is just a cursory glance, and  they did not check vertical, or under varied conditions, but it does show that the u-blox Zed chip is at least living up to its specs.

Based on these prelim results, I'm requesting a pair to put under more formal tests.  Cautiously excited.

Emlid is not alone in the affordable rover space, so we may just be seeing the rise ahead of a big wave of such things.

6 Replies
detritalgeo
(@detritalgeo)

50+ posts

Excellent News. I have a pair ordered with an ETA of June, and will be testing them out for my Mapping needs.
I am just a bit north in Vancouver, Canada so feel free to use them for testing if you need.

gschrock
(@gschrock)

2,500+ posts

sent msg....

Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)

500+ posts

Thanks for the update, let us know how it goes. These could be very useful for us for when we have an extra pair of hands on a job,

FrozenNorth
(@frozennorth)

250+ posts

Thanks for the leadership on this and sharing the play-by-play.

jmdjamis
(@jmdjamis)

FNG

This is quite exciting news. I've been following this forum and periodically browsing the web to find some test results for the Reach RS2 and this is the first time I've seen numbers. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing more information on this in the coming months.

gschrock
(@gschrock)

2,500+ posts

To be fair; I'm test driving 4 new rovers (in the same price-point range, e.g. the Tersus David, just did the Sokkia GCX3) and am finding similar decent results. There is a wave of these new affordable new systems (and more on the way). The short story bis that the 'magic' of high precision (and multi-constellation)  is not as hard to solve as it used to be. There are different value propositions and I still like the high end gear (and will continue to use those for critical work). Eyeing a 5th kit... Nice to have options for all tastes.

Page 3 / 3