Community Forums

California reaL time network  

RSS

goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member
February 7, 2019 6:36 am  

Since November 2018, I've had a near impossible time logging in, or staying connected to the CRTN     using an ATT  hotspot with a Carlson system latest SurvCE         THE system indicates receiving corrections, yet the DC shows autonomous.    The DC also flashes to a "reconnecting" screen,  then connected , then receiving corrections   but remains autonomous.      I've even used my phone as a hot spot .

Maria T indicates the network is up and running.    I've double checked IP address password etc.       Is anyone else having issues ?   

any known resolve ?         Thank you  

ReplyQuote
SPMPLS
(@spmpls)
100+ posts Member
February 7, 2019 7:48 am  

Have you spoken with anyone other than Maria to get technical assistance? There are several folks available to help troubleshoot your issue if you ask Maria to connect you with them.

I don't know where you are working, but there is a cluster of USGS stations in the LA area that have been down for some time. The CSRC is working with them to get this corrected. Several PBO stations around the state went down in the past couple of days and they are working to get them back up, but because you have had this problem for some time, that likely isn't the source of your problem.

goodgps liked
ReplyQuote
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member
February 7, 2019 7:51 am  

I don't use CRTN often, but I've not had any problems using it with my Javad/Verizon system in recent years.  It sounds like a Carlson/AT&T problem to me.

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
framesurveying.com

goodgps liked
ReplyQuote
Mark Silver
(@mark-silver)
500+ posts Vendor
February 7, 2019 8:44 am  

Are you sure you have the latest version of SurvCE?

Some of the early releases of 6.0.x had issues as you describe. I believe that they were addressed around 6.01 or before in the interim releases. 

The current version of SurvCE is 6.02 (today is 7 Feb 2019). 

ReplyQuote
goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member
February 8, 2019 10:13 pm  

I had version 4.07 which was working fine, then suddenly quit working.  Upgraded to 5.9 ?  Or the last 5.x they have and still nothing .However, I can log into PBO  and survey just fine most of the time.  

Unfortunately with PBO,  the system tends to lose fix more often .   I think it's some snafoo with CRTN .   I like CRTN because there are a couple of reliable base stations near by .And they are GNSS .

ReplyQuote
goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member

I had version 4.07 which was working fine, then suddenly quit working.  Upgraded to 5.9 ?  Or the last 5.x they have and still nothing .However, I can log into PBO  and survey just fine most of the time.  

Unfortunately with PBO,  the system tends to lose fix more often .   I think it's some snafoo with CRTN .   I like CRTN because there are a couple of reliable base stations near by .And they are GNSS .

ReplyQuote

Take the next step in your career, pass your licensure exam with PPI2Pass

goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member

ReplyQuote
goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member
February 8, 2019 10:19 pm  

I can log into the PBO network pretty often .  I'm fact was able to complete two surveys Thursday using pbo network.   Checked in very well to recent record .   But inspire of a very nearby CRTN base, I was not able to log on.   Makes me think it's a CRTN   issue  or possibly cal trans base output ?? 

ReplyQuote
goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member
February 8, 2019 10:25 pm  

I've reached out to Maria again.   Maybe she'll answer or point me in the right direction.     Kinda funny how this all went down because I was so happy with the system, I was ready to send in $1000  in appreciation.  But that went South in a hurry, when I was stuck on a jobsite looking like a fool   now I carry a base with me   it gets used often  

Thanks for the suggestion . I'll follow up 

ReplyQuote
Robert Shellman
(@robert-shellman)
5+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 5:45 pm  

I just used the system yesterday- SIO5 & P475- no problems- I use a Javad Triumph 1 and Carlson SurvCE  version 5.03- I think. I doubt it has anything to do with the Carlson SurvCE software version as I have been using CRTN since 2008- with Carlson version- 2.??- can't even remember. I never had a software issue though from version number,  just improper settings, EM or jamming interference (I work around a lot of Military hardware), the base station or system goes down, some specific base stations seem to have intermittent problems on occasion- SBCC & P474 come to mind - either way I can continuing working on as I have a base too.  I always check the base station status on the CRTN website before I head out that day, the system is not perfect, but pretty damn good for the price-free- with some very dedicated sharp people who have worked really hard on maintaining it for our use, so I wouldn't put away that check book based on one bad day- I have had my share of those too- it sucks.

ReplyQuote
Robert Shellman
(@robert-shellman)
5+ posts Member
February 9, 2019 5:47 pm  

Forgot to mention- my Receiver has an internal GSM Modem, and my carrier is AT&T- hope you figure it out.

ReplyQuote
goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member
February 10, 2019 8:22 am  

Thanks 

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to access the network for three months. Perhaps I'll get a response to my inquiry this coming week.  I wonder if it has something to do with a new output format from the network ?  The bases indicate RTCM 3.1.    But maybe I have a receiving format that isn't compatible.   I've checked everything, but may have missed something.   Going out Monday to a site only 4 miles from the monunt point. Good ATT signal area.   I'll see what happens.     Might have to put the SIM in the BRX5 rover ?    instead of the separate hot spot.   Funny how it worked so well for 7 months then boom .nothing . Crazy .

ReplyQuote

Javad GNSS

gschrock
(@gschrock)
2,500+ posts Member
February 10, 2019 10:30 am  

It is highly unlikely that the CRTN is suddenly casting some format that would be incompatible... if so it would have affected many folks.  RTCM 3.1 is a generic standard (accommodating GPS and GLN where applicable) such as available from PBO stations that are streaming via their caster. The CTRN would not supplant that with anything proprietary, and the next standard RTCM format is RTCM3.2-MSM (multi-constellation support).  And on RTN that offer RTCM3.2-MSM that is typically an additional set of mount-points and not a replacement for 3.1.

I have run an RTN for many years and here are some basic steps to determine if it is something up with your rover setup or if it is an RTN problem. I'll skip the ones you have already tried:

1. Call the RTN. Ask if they can see you connected to the caster. If you cannot get a hold of them, try the following:

2. Find another person with a rover. Put yours next to theirs and see if they can connect. If you can't find another user, try this:

3. Call the dealer who sold you the gear. Ask them to take one of their demo rovers outside and connect with the same credentials and to the same source.

4. Try different mount-points, even if they are farther away, just to see if you can connect.

I've skipped all of the initial steps (as you say you can connect to the PBO Ok). We find that 90% of all support calls are the rover not begin able to connect to the internet (by whatever connection/modem/hotspot/etc and connection to the DC (but that does not sound like your problem). We ask users to open a browser on their DC and see if they can open web pages, and/or open the source table by entering the caster IP:port in the browser. it sounds like you have your DC connected to the internet Ok, but a good step to keep in mind for other situations.

Users also test their login credentials with simple free apps like the Lefebure NTRIP client on their phone. They can also download the source table on the same app and test individual mountpoints. Again, this does not sound like your issue, but good to keep in mind.

If everything else is working , the only sure fire way to isolate the issue as being on the rover side or RTN side is to connect with a different rover or have your dealer connect at the same time, with the same credentials, to the same sources. I pack a simple rover setup with me pretty much at all times to be able to The folks that sold you the gear should be willing to provide such support. Eliminating potential points of failure one at a time is a good practice, sounds check for a user who calls with support questions (isolates the issues real fast).

Looks like you've done several of those steps, but a few more to go before concluding it is definitely something wrong with the CRTN.

This post was modified 1 week ago by gschrock

"Things are only impossible until they're not!"   -  Jean-Luc Picard

goodgps liked
ReplyQuote
goodgps
(@goodgps)
50+ posts Member
February 10, 2019 5:08 pm  

Wow .

Thank you . I'll run through these and also (for the 4th time, reenter the ip and info etc) .  Another thing I'll do, is double check the hot spot to make sure it's single user .  

Thanks again . I'll try everything .   

ReplyQuote
iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

Working

Please Login or Register