Community Forums

Are You Ready For T...

Share:

Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?  

Page 5 / 6

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

I was told Topcon ran some tests. They concluded that receivers made after 1999 will survive tomorrows rollover, even without the suggested firmware updates. Basically, those that do not update the firmware will have clock issues that will likely take much longer to initialize. However, accuracy should not be affected.

Totalsurv
(@totalsurv)
500+ posts

I hope this is the case. My Hiper+ and Legacy E+ don't have memory so I am unable to upload the firmware, still trying to find a work around. Is it possible to install some memory in these myself?

3 Replies
MitchPTD
(@mitchptd)

50+ posts

Well one thing I noticed was, that Sokkia lists the GSR2700's as all end of life.  They were made with a partnership called Point Inc, with Novatel.  Using Novatel Boards.  Whose website lists them as all (post 1999) as fully compliant. So....

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)

5,000+ posts

Your receivers may not have user memory, but if they use firmware to control the hardware -- I'm not aware of any survey-grade receivers that don't -- you should be able to upload a firmware update.

toivo1037
(@toivo1037)

500+ posts

.... if a firmware update is available for your receiver that is.

5 of mine are way old.

David Livingstone
(@david-livingstone)
500+ posts

I took our Topcon Hiper II's out and tried them out.  No problem with the roll over.  I didn't think I would have problems but just wanted to confirm.  It does appear a few people are having problems.

John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts

TN DOT runs a Topcon VRS....

Got this message a few minutes ago...

To all TDOT GNSS network clients,

We’ve been receiving multiple reports from users concerning inability to get connected to the network. We think this is due to the GPS rollover that took place over the weekend. We are communicating with Topcon representative to help get this issue resolved ASAP. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Then a few minutes later...

FYI,

TDOT IT will perform a firmware fix to the connectivity issue between 7PM-10PM tonight. Network outage may occurs during this time.

So it looks like Topcon has a fix for whatever the problem is.

1 Reply
Stephen Ward
(@stephen-ward)

1,000+ posts

Apparently VRS users were fine but using single base resulted in not getting corrections.

Artie Kay
(@artie-kay)
100+ posts

My Sokkia GSR2700 ISX base and rover appear to be unaffected, end of life was a few years ago and the last firmware update was shortly before that.

The only issue I've found is that Sokkia Planning software, which I use to convert the Sokkia/Novatel .pdc file downloaded from the base into .n and .o rinex files for post processing, is producing a 1999 gps nav .n file. Novatel 'convert' software is an alternative, currently experimenting with installing that on a Windows 10 pc along with Borland database engine which it requires, both were designed to run on XP/Win 7.

4 Replies
andrew.levson.novatel
(@andrew-levson-novatel)

FNG

Hi Artie, have you tried our latest version of Convert? Which will run on a Windows 10 PC? Link here: 
https://www.novatel.com/assets/Documents/Downloads/NovAtelConvertSetup.zip
You can also email us directly at [email protected]

We can help you get running again. And I can also make sure that you are running the latest firmware. 

Andrew Levson, 

NovAtel Applications Engineering 

Wendell
Admin
(@wendell)

2,500+ posts

Admin's Note: I wouldn't normally allow specific links from a manufacturer since technically it's considered advertising. But I'm letting this one post simply because you are helping one of our members. So thank you, but just a little FYI for future reference.

Artie Kay
(@artie-kay)

100+ posts

Andrew

Thanks for that. I'm already running v3.907 (final) firmware on both the Sokkia GSR2700 ISX base and rover receivers. After a few more trials it looks as if the base receiver is logging a .pdc file, but when it's converted to rinex the nav or n file is back in 1999. The observations or o file is fine.

In Magnet Tools, for post processing you can load the .pdc file directly without converting and this doesn't work now, so that suggests the problem is with the receiver and not the conversion software. The easiest workaround is to download an ephemeris file from one the IGS sites, that's just two clicks of the mouse in Magnet Tools!

I wonder how Don Poole in Cape Cod is doing with these receivers? Would be interesting to know if anyone else has had this issue.

andrew.levson.novatel
(@andrew-levson-novatel)

FNG

Hi Artie, 

I'm glad you have a workaround. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions or issues. 

Andrew Levson, 

NovAtel Applications Engineering 

Page 5 / 6