Community Forums

Are You Ready For T...

Share:

Are You Ready For The GPS Week Rollover?  

Page 3 / 6

Mark Silver
Vendor
(@mark-silver)
500+ posts

ProMark 100, 120, 200, 220 + 

MobileMapper 100, 120:

1. Download the update file from the Trimble file source. Put it (as a .CAB file) on an SD card. The SD card should be 4GB or less so that the device can read it.
                    Link: http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-907151/PM5_V2.5.aW215Hm27.CAB
  2. Make sure device battery is fully (or very nearly fully) charged.
  3. Turn on the device. Wait for it to fully boot.
  4. From the ‘File Explorer’ on the mobile device (NOT ON YOUR PC!) navigate to the card and then click on the .CAB file. The installer will auto-run. (You can find the ‘File Explorer’ under Start(flag), Programs then drag up.)
  5. When/if asked to ‘overwrite existing’ answer yes.
  6. When asked to ‘Choose a location…’ pick ‘Device’, then click ‘Install’
  7. Blue bar moves across screen,
    then receiver reboots,
    wait until receiver
    then ‘GNSS Upload’ will appear,
    a new blue bar will slowly move across the screen listing ‘File : gnss_Hm27.bin’,
    next the bar returns to left and then quickly moves to right,
    finally device returns to main menu.
  8. You can verify that update was succesfull:
    Start(flag): GNSS Toolbox: About:
                    GNSS Toolbox Version: 3.5.3
                    GNSS Service: Version 2.5.1
                    GNSS Firmware: Hm27
                    System Firmware: W215
3 Replies
Siim Randveer
(@siim-randveer)

FNG

Thank you very very much for this post! It helped me a lot! One device (I have a whole lot of Ashtechs and Spectras here to fix) still doesn´t want to go through the entire installation process. Could you please give me a clue what could go wrong? I think the process stops in the beginning of "GNSS Upload"...

Siim Randveer
(@siim-randveer)

FNG

Now another Ashtech Promark100 has a same kind of problem. Although installation process seems to run smoothly finally I can´t choose a tracking mode in GNSS Toolbox anymore- "The current option is not available!". I get messages like that "2.70 Bad parameter on port F" and "30.13 No GNSS detected". It seems to be a problem related to older devices (Ashtechs Promark 100) because Spectra MobileMapper 120 are fine after firmware installation. Is there some things I can try to solve this problem?

After the installation the GNSS Toolbox>About is like that:
                GNSS Toolbox Version: 2.0.5
                GNSS Service: Version 2.5.a
                GNSS Firmware: Hm27
                System Firmware: W215

Siim Randveer
(@siim-randveer)

FNG

Is it possible that firmware installation still doesn't help my Ashtechs and Spectras? The first firmware installation I thought was successful turned out to be a failure. GNSS device showed a correct date and also the post-processing raw data file name had the right day and year numbers but nevertheless it was impossible to do the post-processing - the measurements start time was 20 years off...

Is it important that the firmware update was done after April 6th? Not all the GNSS devices doesn' t have the latest software - is this the reason why installation fails?

David Livingstone
(@david-livingstone)
500+ posts

I know one issue I have is upgrading the Firmware in my Hiper II's.  I am running a couple of newer Rangers with my GPS and when I upgrade the firmware, they stop working.  It appears that after doing this in the past and having problems I would have to pay for an OAF file or Legacy file for the Hipers to make them work with the Rangers if I upgrade firmware.  I'm hoping to get by doing nothing.

spyropas
(@spyropas)
FNG

I have PM500 with v4 firmware could i update to the v6.8 ? 

And what about the fast survey software of the MMCX controller in v2.3.5? Is there any chance of incompatibility  ?

Mark Silver
Vendor
(@mark-silver)
500+ posts

Monday 25 March 2019: Update (#4 I think): PM2 and PM3 should survive with no firmware update:

See [ https://ashgps.com/2/wnro/Spectra_SupportNote_GPS_Week2048_RevD.pdf ] for latest update including additional information on:

MobileMapper CE, CX, 6, 10 20

ProMark 2, 3

EPOCH 10,25

4 Replies
James Vianna
(@james-vianna)

250+ posts

Mark, thank you very much for staying on top of this. Hopefully GNSS will survive.

Jim

Jules J.
(@jules-j)

500+ posts

Thank you for the update Mark. 

A Harris
(@a-harris)

5,000+ posts

Mark, this news will allow me stop banging my head against a post about my PM3s for the time being.

Will see what the rollover brings.

🍺

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)

10,000+ posts

I have a lot of good memories using my PM3 receivers.  I sold them, of the three one wasn't working but I shipped all three.

When I was using them 15 to 10 years ago they would get more satellites than the Trimble 4700s and 4800s I was using at work.  Processed them in GNSS Solutions with really amazing results.  GNSS solutions had a really handy ground coordinate system generator, I would routinely check coordinate pairs with my Total Station in under a hundredth.

The stop&go was like super cheap RTK, worked great.  I even used them to stake out search coordinates, would routinely get me within 3' of a monument I was looking for.

leegreen
(@leegreen)
1,000+ posts

Surprising Topcon just released NEW firmware for the old Hiper Lite series and most of their other GPS receivers this month, for the April Rollover.

To download go to https://www.topconpositioning.com/gpsrollover#feature-110916

2 Replies
toivo1037
(@toivo1037)

500+ posts

'End of life' my butt.  These things still collect data - they are still alive and kicking.  Hopefully they still work in a couple of weeks.

Dave Karoly
(@dave-karoly)

10,000+ posts

I updated the two GR3s we still have.  The file light wouldn't come on.  It turns out the file system needs to be initialized.  I got a green REC light on one, initializing the other one.

The FC500 controller is dead, on charge now so can't test RTK yet but can test static.

So the moral of the story is you may lose all the files still on the receiver so download them if necessary.  The last use these ones saw was two years ago so they were downloaded long ago.

Page 3 / 6