Community Forums

Another new GPS sys...

Share:

Another new GPS system thread- Geomax, Trimble, Igage,etc  

SWAG
 SWAG
(@swag)
100+ posts

My CPA is telling me to spend money before the end of the year. I absolutely hate spending money. However I believe it is time that I upgrade from my Trimble R8-2 base/rover receivers. I have my eye on the Geomax Zenith 40 base rover system with a carlson collector and the mindset of buying a geomax robot next year . I havent personally looked at the Zenith 40 and only know what the sales people tell me, which isnt much. Unless they dont sell Leica or Trimble then its awesome. If they do sell Leica or Trimble its horrible and nothing but trouble?

I am also looking at used Trimble R10's. which the Mod 1's can be had for around $10500 each (no warranty). If I go Trimble GPS I would also need to upgrade next year to a S5, all of which cost as much or more used as the Geomax does new with warranty.

For those of you that know. Will I see a significant increase in accuracy/precision/production by upgrading to these systems over the R8-2 currently in place? I do work around some canopy i.e. oaks, pecans and mesquite in central TX and want a receiver that will be better for those environments.

If you have a Geomax Zenith 40 what are your thoughts? or should I be looking at the Igage receivers or another brand? 

Topic Tags
8 Replies
Norman Oklahoma
(@norman-oklahoma)
2,500+ posts

I think that you will see a significant performance upgrade over your R8-2's no matter what new thing you buy.  And face it, those things are long in the tooth and due to crap out on you at the least convenient time.  

To reiterate the advise I always give - figure out what you want your field to office to finished product work flow to look like- shop for the data collection software that fits that best, and take the hardware that it runs.   

lukenz
(@lukenz)
50+ posts

With the usual caveat being is the dealer going to have good support read on. I-gage comes to mind especially if your wanting to use Carlson.

I've just started up solo over in New Zealand and bought a pair of zenith40s and zoom90 after two demo's and six months of research (agonising) and confirming dealer can support. I'm running x-pad ultimate on Panasonic tablet. I've used Trimble access in past and most familiar with Leica gear.  Have used Javad ls's too recently. Find the geomax hardware to be not to manufactured exactly Swiss standard (finishing is not as pretty) but better than other Chinese gear I demo'd and testing shows the same results as I'd expect from Leica ts15/fully optioned gs14 I was regularly using till now.

In terms of software functionality x-pad is a little more limited than Leica/Trimble but similar to surv-ce and I find way easier to navigate/use than Carlson. X-pad software still having features added all the time like Javad.

Here in NZ zoom90/zenith40 set is low 60k whereas Leica ts15/gs16 set more like mid 100k. I feel I get 90-95% performance of Leica for much less dollars.

Suggest investing in time to demo and working out how good the support will be should make decision for you?

3 Replies
Richard Imrie
(@richard-imrie)

1,000+ posts

@lukenz

Who is the dealer/support for Zoom90 in NZ?

lukenz
(@lukenz)

50+ posts

@richard-imrie

Buildmax, sister company to global survey, the one they try to keep away from surveyor s so you'll stick buying Leica. Same owners, use same service centres just different sales and support channels.

hpalmer
(@hpalmer)

100+ posts

@lukenz

I think some business model's are outdated.  I hate it that my manufacturer's sales rep has to compete with a same/similar product made by their parent company.  I hate it that much of our Leica equipment will not talk to non-Leica data collectors. We paid lots (and contributed technology) for Leica's product development with little reciprocation other than the initial sale.  I hate it that those on-board programs we paid for cannot be used on other Leica instruments.

I like that much of the Geomax line is built by and has same quality control as many of the Leica instruments.  I like it that our Geomax equipment will talk with many of the non-Leica data collectors.  I like it that our Geomax came fully loaded.

Andrew Clark
(@andrew-clark)
20+ posts

We recently got the "Carlson" (it's the Hemisphere re-brand for the US market) branded GPS units. They work great (even in some tree cover and near buildings too) and reasonably priced. I think a new GPS head was around 12k per head. Unsurprisingly enough, they pair quite well with the Carlson DC.

Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts
Posted by: @lukenz

In terms of software functionality x-pad is a little more limited than Leica/Trimble but similar to surv-ce and I find way easier to navigate/use than Carlson.

??

SurvCE *is* Carlson.

1 Reply
lukenz
(@lukenz)

50+ posts

@jim-frame

Sorry, made the assumption that was obvious. Strictly should have stuck to survCE throughout post.

:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil:
:oops: