RSS

Loyal
(@loyal)
2,500+ posts Member
January 22, 2019 1:31 pm  
Posted by: Bill93

Posted by: Loyal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws

Thanks for the reminder.  There go my credentials as a science fiction reader.

I've been a huge Science Fiction fan as far back as I can remember. I still like some of the early Science Fiction Moves (even some of the bad ones), although many of the newer one rely far too much on "special effects."

Loyal

"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves."
Gandalf, The Two Towers

ReplyQuote
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member
January 22, 2019 1:56 pm  

Posted by: Loyal

I've been a huge Science Fiction fan as far back as I can remember. I still like some of the early Science Fiction Moves (even some of the bad ones), although many of the newer one rely far too much on "special effects."

Continuing the hijack ...

I prefer semi-realistic SF over fantasy and magic stuff.  I'll accept warp drives and FTL if it's a good story, but don't break the rules of physics where the story doesn't need to.  I don't see a lot of movies because of the terribly unrealistic stuff that could be done right. Swooping aerobatic-appearing maneuvers in space and I'm yelling "No!" at the screen.  The movie Gravity had them catching on to a space station and then, after being at zero relative motion, the guy is somehow pulled away by a force that makes no sense, and that's needed as a key plot point - NO!

I don't read as much as I used to and don't know all the current authors.  My favorites were Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Friday. Lots of his others were good, too, but some of the later ones got entirely too wordy and strange.  I read some of Asimov and Clarke, Niven, and several others.  I really liked the earlier James Hogan books (before he got too preachy) and was impressed with how his stories were all so different from each other.  He could write a time travel story, a visit to a neutron star, a character figuring out he had a multi-layer mind, or an interplanetary fight with equal ease.

Bill C liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

Working

Please Login or Register