Community Forums

On this thing of pa...

Share:

On this thing of participation by equipment vendors, or their reps  

RSS
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member

Things like putting in your signature that you work for a supply company, or get paid, or compensated by Topcon, Trimble, or Kara, or if you have financial ties, to motivate your posts. Those are very good things.

I would welcome and encourage participation from these types of persons. I especially appreciate technical assistance. "That Cad Girl" is a good resource.

And, to put in your signature, that this relationship exists, is a good idea. If you find this forum helps you sell, send Wen some dinero. Mucho Dinero.

When I was a kid, (I was born in 1965, and had all my switches turned on early) so, my earliest surveying memories, come from when I was 6 yrs old. I cut up a bunch of dad's 4' lath, and made me a village, for my trucks, and dozers. (Got a minor whooping for it too!) I had to sacrifice, and buy dad a couple more bundles too! I remember my first plumb bob at 8. I remember learning to chain, in 1974, etc. Worked on a crew that used a Beetle EDM when I was 9 or 10. We had to go our EARLY to beat the sun waves, or heat waves, because it was a long shot. I could barely recognize the target through the inst. I was running a crew when I was 15, and had no drivers license.
So, during all these formative years, I dreamed of getting an EDM.
We did not get one, until 1986. I was 21. But, being involved in survey procedure is a definite part of our professional development. What equipment does, and how it works, is an integral part of data analysis.
I have worked without batteries, for many years.
As such, I relate to transits. I love T-2's, and I want a T0.
And, I encourage the younger surveyors, SIT's to listen to the shuck and banter, on this forum. You learn between the cracks. Reading between the lines.
It's all a part of the fabric of a surveyors life. Dream of the best surveying equipment, money can buy. Dream of "Doing it right".
It's a piece of what we are. To mentor others, to include the next generation.
To keep up with progress ourselves. To stay current, with procedure.
We need input, from the vendors, so long as all possible conflicts of interest are disclosed.
I remember an article, about children, and TV commercials. Children tend to view TV as "It was on TV, it is common knowledge, and fact", instead of considering the bias of commercials. We also need to teach this to our children, and the next generation.
So, I say, come along, post stuff. And, encourage Wendell. Send 'im a some money. This forum is not free. Nor is equipment. Nor is surveying. But, the campfire talk from this forum is sometimes just as important, or MORE important, than the formal education we do.
So, keep it productive, Keep it surveying, Keep Wendell on line, Keep learning. Make the world a better place.
Retracement. It is good to know and understand what kind of equipment the previous surveyors used.

Nate

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

Posted : 10/05/2016 8:22 am
dgm-pls
(@dgm-pls)
100+ posts Member

I agree Nate. Disclosure through the signature line is a good way to let people know which way your bread is buttered. I want a T0 as well ๐Ÿ˜‰ and a T4 while I am still dreaming.

----Dan MacIsaac

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2016 8:28 am
Dan B. Robison
(@ddsm)
1,000+ posts Member

Nate,
There is a fellow in Hot Springs with a Wild T0 theodolite compass. I've yet to gather sufficient 'trading' material to make a deal. I'd bet he would swap for your Javad 'even up'...wait...he already has a Javad.
DDSM:beer:

"Sudden fits of inadvertence will surprise vigilance, slight avocations will seduce attention, and casual eclipses of the mind will darken learning." โ€“ Dr. Samuel Johnson

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2016 8:39 am
Darryl Beard
(@darryl-beard)
50+ posts Member

We have a few old T1's and a T2 sitting on the shelf with many old Gurleys here at the county. I don't think these guys got EDMs until the late 90's. Now we are all Robotic and Virtual GPS.

I have this Gurley in my office.

It is constantly getting bumped by the cleaning lady or by people coming in and jacking with it. So I am always Leveling it back up...bugs me when it is not.
Still has a County Asset tag on it and is in the inventory!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2016 9:08 am
Eric Kara
(@eric-kara)
100+ posts Member

Couldn't agree more Nate!

Like my Signature says, I'm not out here trying to drum up sales and hand out kool aid, Just trying to help!

Full disclosure.
I work for dealer of Surveying equipment and supplies in the Chicagoland area. My main role is support. I am on here only to help when I can, not sales. I will attempt to give unbiased help when I can. The main product line that we sell is Leica Geosystems.
Eric Kara, Kara Co. Inc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2016 2:18 pm
Eric Kara
(@eric-kara)
100+ posts Member

You guys like Old T instruments?

I have tons of interesting ones

Full disclosure.
I work for dealer of Surveying equipment and supplies in the Chicagoland area. My main role is support. I am on here only to help when I can, not sales. I will attempt to give unbiased help when I can. The main product line that we sell is Leica Geosystems.
Eric Kara, Kara Co. Inc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2016 2:30 pm

Javad GNSS

FL/GA PLS.
(@flga-pls-2-2)
2,500+ posts Member

dgm-pls, post: 371437, member: 2490 wrote: I agree Nate. Disclosure through the signature line is a good way to let people know which way your bread is buttered. I want a T0 as well ๐Ÿ˜‰ and a T4 while I am still dreaming.

There's a bunch of Wild stuff including a T4 (28.5k) at this site:

http://www.testequipmentexpo.com/wild_heerbrugg_theodolites.html

"I,d rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"....Jimmy Buffett
"All I know is, if you look around at the human race you've got to wonder what the hell God was thinking!" ...Lee Marvin, "Paint Your Wagon"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/05/2016 2:49 pm
Geoline
(@geoline)
20+ posts Member

Thanks Nate! I was a young man looking for a career, I stumbled across a help wanted ad in the local Orange County Register, "Apprentice wanted"
knowing nothing, 18 years old I applied. I had to take a dollar hour cut in pay from the dead end job I had and began working at Surveyors Service Company.
They were responsible for selling & servicing Wild Instruments. 42 years later, 1 wife, 3 kids and 11 grand kiddos later I am still in the business. Once it is in your blood, whether you are a paid professional like yourself or a grown up apprentice like myself it is rewarding to be surrounded by people who know and care about what they do and love doing it!
In full disclosure, I am the director of sales with Geoline in the Great NW.
Jeff Whittaker

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 1:36 pm
Lee D
(@lee-d)
1,000+ posts Member

Eric Kara, post: 371960, member: 1598 wrote: You guys like Old T instruments?

I have tons of interesting ones

That stuff was probably all there when I worked there in 1993 - 94 lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 1:39 pm
Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member

I have learned as much, or more on this forum, than at most all the continuing ed I have done.
N

Surveying is more than a Job----it is a passion to provide a foundation for future generation, that is beyond reproach.

Nate

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 5:08 pm
Adam
 Adam
(@adam)
1,000+ posts Member

Nate The Surveyor, post: 395277, member: 291 wrote: I have learned as much, or more on this forum, than at most all the continuing ed I have done.
N

Yep

Adam Plumley, PLS
AP Surveying, PLLC
704-477-3603

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 8:20 pm
Eric Kara
(@eric-kara)
100+ posts Member

Lee D, post: 395237, member: 7971 wrote: That stuff was probably all there when I worked there in 1993 - 94 lol.

I don't doubt that at all lol!

Full disclosure.
Eric Kara, Kara Co. Inc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2016 10:30 am

Javad GNSS

Nate The Surveyor
(@nate-the-surveyor)
5,000+ posts Member

It always frustrated me that in 6th grade, there was a 10-15 minute recess, in the morning, 45 min or an hr for lunch, and again 10-15 min in the afternoon. Break time, and food, were my favorites, even way back then.

Fast forward, survey conventions. Same deal. GET BACK IN CLASS. Never enough time with exhibits.
How are we going to stay current? Time with technology.

What am I missing now? GPR Ground Penetrating Radar. Good drone.

Yes, I see those in all progressive surveyors tool box, in the soon coming years.

N

Nate

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2016 10:50 am
Shelby H. Griggs PLS
(@shelby-h-griggs-pls)
500+ posts Member

Wow an Omni in the case! Only ever knew one surveyor that bought one...

SHG

PLS CA, ID, NV, OR, WA
Commercial Vehicle Driver

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2016 11:21 pm
Eric Kara
(@eric-kara)
100+ posts Member

Shelby H. Griggs PLS, post: 395414, member: 335 wrote: Wow an Omni in the case! Only ever knew one surveyor that bought one...

SHG

Not a lot of people know what that is!

Full disclosure.
Eric Kara, Kara Co. Inc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/10/2016 8:48 am