[outdated] How to p...

Share:

[outdated] How to post images and other files  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Wendell
(@wendell)
2,500+ posts Admin

Here's a quick tutorial on how to upload files and insert them into your posts.

Images hosted elsewhere

1. Place your cursor in the post body where you'd like the image to appear.
  2. Click the image icon button in the editor (above the body of the post).
  3. Enter the URL of the image you'd like to insert.
  4. Click the Insert button.

Images uploaded here

1. Place your cursor in the post body where you'd like the image to appear.
  2. Click the Upload A File button under the editor.
  3. Browse and double-click the image you'd like to upload.
  4. A progress bar will appear, followed by a box showing a preview of your image and options to insert into the post.
    [LIST=1]
  5. If you want to insert the image into your post as a clickable thumbnail, click the Thumbnail button. After you submit your post, a small version of your image will appear and users will be able to click on it to open a larger size.
  6. If you want to insert the full image into your post, click the Full Image button.

[*]Also note that if you upload more than one image, you will also be given the option to insert all as thumbnails or full images.
[/list]
Note: Although we have the system set to allow up to full HD 1080p images (1920x1080), we ask that you only use that size if you really, really need to; i.e. maybe you are sharing a wallpaper for others to use. Since the maximum width of the thread pages is less than 1000 pixels wide, we ask that you please resize your images to 1000 pixels or less to help us save space (and thus server costs), with certain exceptions as mentioned above.

Other file types uploaded here

1. Use the same procedure as images, except that you won't have the option to choose how to insert it. It will simply be shown as an attachment to the post.

Allowed file types

• zip
  • txt
  • pdf
  • png
  • jpg
  • jpeg
  • jpe
  • gif
  • dwg
  • csv
  • doc
  • docx
  • xls
  • xlsx
  • ppt
  • pptx

Allowed file sizes

• Files of up to 4,096kb (4mb) may be uploaded.

Keeping server usage to a minimum
Our latest funding campaign pooped out, so we are attempting to batten down the hatches at this point. We may have to restrict uploads more, but we're hoping we won't have to.

Posted : September 7, 2015 10:27 am
Hillbilly
(@hillbilly)
20+ posts Member

[MEDIA=youtube]LoAF5sLn-Ys[/MEDIA]

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2015 11:09 am
Hillbilly
(@hillbilly)
20+ posts Member

Thanks Wendell!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2015 11:11 am
Wendell
(@wendell)
2,500+ posts Admin

Hmmm, seems there's a problem with thumbnails. Going to check this out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2015 8:38 am
Monte
(@monte)
500+ posts Member

Howdy Wendell, I have run my pics thru a couple of compression programs, and they are still too large to post. I have reached the end of my abilities on compressing pictures, now where do I go?

If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2016 9:24 am
Stephen Ward
(@stephen-ward)
1,000+ posts Member

Use Paint (under accessories) to resize the photo.

Never let someone owe you more than you can afford to lose.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2016 5:51 pm

iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

Wendell
(@wendell)
2,500+ posts Admin

It's not so much a compression issue as it is a resolution issue. Let's say you are taking your images right out of an 8 megapixel digital camera or phone. That means the images are probably 3456 by 2304 pixels (or something like that). Now imagine how that would display at full size on a 1920 by 1080 pixel monitor -- you'd only see about 1/4 of it on your monitor. This also means the file size is much larger than it needs to be.

Resizing the photo to something like 1000 pixels on the longest side would be much more reasonable. As Stephen pointed out, Paint can help you with that.

You could also try using an online service such as http://www.picresize.com/ -- I've never used it myself but I know some folks that do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2016 5:51 am
Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts Member

I just use the Windows Snipping Tool.

Beer Leg dot com R O C K S ! !
If you find this forum valuable, then click here https://rplstoday.com/donate/

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2016 5:52 am
R.J. Schneider
(@rj-schneider)
1,000+ posts Member

Wendell, post: 390139, member: 1 wrote: Resizing the photo to something like 1000 pixels on the longest side would be much more reasonable.

A pixel is worth a thousand..something. How did that work again?

field crew

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2016 2:50 pm
Bill93
(@bill93)
5,000+ posts Member

I use an old copy of PolyView, which I think is now freeware.
http://download.cnet.com/Polyview/3000-18488_4-10002104.html
It has many picture editing tools in it, including selecting the resolution and degree of compression. It also has cropping, color balance brightness, contrast, gamma (often more useful than contrast), text labeling, and some "artistic" modifications. It will also let you paste in what you just captured ;using "Print Screen"on the keyboard.

The menus are a little overwhelming at first but you can quickly learn to find those tools you use frequently.My biggest complaint is that when I print I always want to specify the size, and that's several levels deep in the menu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2016 8:22 pm
Wendell
(@wendell)
2,500+ posts Admin

As a guy that regularly builds websites and needs to optimize and resize client images in bulk, I find IrfanView to be an amazing tool.

http://www.irfanview.com/

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2016 9:44 pm
A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member

@"Wendell

irfanview is awesome
it unlocks the mystical digital deed records and turns them into pdf files for me on a regular basis
also great to invert those DOT plans that are white letters on black background

I use an app on my phone to reduce pics called "Image Reduce"

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2016 11:27 pm

iGage Static GPS - GNSS Receivers

Monte
(@monte)
500+ posts Member

I have irfanview, but like so much else, I only use a few things on it, I know it has more, but I never seem to have time to search out the possibilities.

If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2016 6:40 am
Tom Adams
(@tom-adams)
2,500+ posts Member

Stephen Ward, post: 390100, member: 1206 wrote: Use Paint (under accessories) to resize the photo.

Agree. Paint is an accessory that comes with windows machines. It isn't some heavy-duty photoshopper, but it is simple to resize, and you don't have to trim. if the picture is too large, you can just resize it by 50%. And again if that's too big. Do a "save-as" if you want to keep you original large picture for your own use.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2016 1:07 pm
Jim Frame
(@jim-frame)
5,000+ posts Member

Xnview is my tool of choice for quickie stuff. For more intense capability I go to Paint.net. The latter is an open source Photoshop replacement.

Jim Frame
Frame Surveying & Mapping
609 A Street
Davis, CA 95616
framesurveying.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2016 3:04 pm
Page 1 / 2