Community Forums

Work at home survey...

Share:

Work at home surveyor?  

Page 1 / 2

Surveyor Marc SIT
(@marcospepe)
5+ posts

Does anyone do surveying/drafting work at home full-time? My wife is gonna take a travel nursing job and we would be moving every 3 to 6 months to a new location in the U.S. I want to still work full-time in the surveying field while we travel but I haven't really heard of surveyors working from home. Does anyone work from full-time home as a CAD/Survey drafter? Are there freelance surveyors out there? I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this idea.

Topic Tags
11 Replies
1 Reply
FrozenNorth
(@frozennorth)

250+ posts

There's no reason this can't work.  The successful examples I've seen are when a valued employee has to move and the firm would rather not lose him, or when someone heads into semi-retirement.  The firm just has him work at his new location.  So I think your best bet would be to cultivate your existing work relationships and then try to negotiate with them to send it with you on the road.

holy cow
(@holy-cow)
10,000+ posts

Been doing it from home for about 32 years, but, I am licensed so am my own boss. (As long as Mrs. Cow is absent.)

1 Reply
Steven Metelski
(@steven-metelsky)

100+ posts
Posted by: holy cow

Been doing it from home for about 32 years, but, I am licensed so am my own boss. (As long as Mrs. Cow is absent.)

I was wondering why you insulted the Mrs. but then I noticed your user name

Brad Ott
(@brad-ott)
2,500+ posts

I really like this idea and hope that it works out for you.

Yes, I work from home full time and I love it.  But I also do it all from home too, field work, etc.  and I am not interested in having anyone else do my drafting for me.

But maybe you will find some arrangement with someone that will prove to be mutually beneficial.

Travel is good.

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts

I've had a home office since I purchased a drafting table while in college and was drafting out of my apartment for an engineer.

Since that time, I've kept a dedicated home office.

Being self employed and working from my present home since licensed in 1987.

My office shoes are usually a pair house slippers, lol.

StLSurveyor
(@stlsurveyor)
1,000+ posts

I also work from home. Hit the road for the mobile LiDAR/UAS work the process at home. I get to take the kids to school every morning and pick them up when I am in town. It's a big change but so much better than driving to an office only to do what you can from home.

Page 1 / 2
:)
:d
:wink:
:mrgreen:
:neutral:
:twisted:
:arrow:
:shock:
:???:
:cool:
:evil: