Share:

Vermont LS Needed  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Allen Wrench
(@allen-wrench)
100+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 5:29 am  

The US Forest Service is looking to hire an LS to oversee the boundary management program of the Green Mountain and Finger Lakes National Forests.  It is a one person operation, and a unique opportunity within the government to operate mostly independently without being micro-managed.  I can probably answer some of the specific questions you may have, but if you have any interest at all, please check out the link below.  At this point, we a gauging interest from potential applicants.

https://fsoutreach.gdcii.com/?id=D5E938040C0B4CCDB2F7B50E61760461

JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
500+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 4:05 pm  

It's in my neck of the woods.  What's it pay?

ReplyQuote
John Hamilton
(@john-hamilton)
2,500+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 4:57 pm  

Nice professional response. Look up GS9/GS11. 

John Hamilton
It's been my fate from birth...to make my mark upon the earth.

ReplyQuote
Edward Reading
(@edward-reading)
250+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 4:58 pm  

Dang, that sounds like a great gig. If only I was 25 years younger.

ReplyQuote
JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
500+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 6:11 pm  
Posted by: John Hamilton

Uh, sorry, I can't live up to your expectations.  I feel like such a failure that I don't know enough about Federal occupations that I can decipher what 09/11 means.

This post was modified 9 months ago by JPH

ReplyQuote
MightyMoe
(@mightymoe)
5,000+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 6:35 pm  

43k to 68k if I found what gs9 and gs11 mean. I really have extremely limited knowledge of fed pay scales. Nor do I wish to learn any more

JPH liked
ReplyQuote

Take the next step in your career, pass your licensure exam with PPI2Pass

A Harris
(@a-harris)
5,000+ posts Member
August 23, 2018 10:42 pm  

A great opportunity for a young skilled surveyor who wants no one looking over their shoulder and can handle a boat load of paperwork and maintain control of a massive amount of land.

RPLS NE Texas
d[-_-]b

ReplyQuote
Allen Wrench
(@allen-wrench)
100+ posts Member
August 24, 2018 5:30 am  
Posted by: A Harris

A great opportunity for a young skilled surveyor who wants no one looking over their shoulder and can handle a boat load of paperwork and maintain control of a massive amount of land.

That sums it up pretty good.  The paperwork is really not all that much though.  The pay is - quite frankly - not good, but the benefits are very good.  I turned down a substantial amount of money in the private sector for a federal job.  The part that attracted me is the lifestyle.  Set your own hours, no traveling, home every night, no worries about being "billable" or marketing, or wondering where you next project will come from.  You run the program however you think is appropriate, work in the field yourself, or make it an office job if you prefer.  Work alone, (help is there if you need it) set your own pace, you make the job whatever you want it to be - you won't feel pressured, especially if you're used to corporate setting.  It's pretty sweet really.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Allen Wrench

ReplyQuote
Scott Ellis
(@scott-ellis)
1,000+ posts Member
August 24, 2018 6:15 am  

What would you expect as a professional response? Would it have been better if he said sure I will take that job and wait till my first paycheck to find out what it pays.

ReplyQuote
Allen Wrench
(@allen-wrench)
100+ posts Member
August 24, 2018 8:26 am  

Also remember that some areas pay more/less - it's not the same nationwide for a particular GS level.  I think it's a pretty close range but some high cost areas pay a little more than someone in Nebraska, for example.  Point is, you wouldn't be doing it for the money.

ReplyQuote
Allen Wrench
(@allen-wrench)
100+ posts Member
August 24, 2018 8:27 am  
Posted by: JPH

It's in my neck of the woods.  What's it pay?

What is your "neck of the woods"?  Without being too specific if you don't want to be.

ReplyQuote
GMPLS
(@gmpls)
250+ posts Member
August 24, 2018 9:09 am  

It seems like a pretty good gig. I was a consultant working with the outgoing surveyor. He checked my work as well as did other surveying duties. He seemed to enjoy it 

Gregg

ReplyQuote

Javad GNSS

JPH
 JPH
(@jph)
500+ posts Member
August 24, 2018 1:49 pm  

Tri-state area:  VT, MA, NY.  Licensed in all three.

This post was modified 9 months ago by JPH

ReplyQuote
dooryardsurveyor
(@dooryardsurveyor)
20+ posts Member
August 27, 2018 9:02 am  

That looks like a great job! Wish I was on track to getting my LS license a little bit sooner. 

ReplyQuote
Allen Wrench
(@allen-wrench)
100+ posts Member
August 28, 2018 5:36 am  
Posted by: dooryardsurveyor

That looks like a great job! Wish I was on track to getting my LS license a little bit sooner. 

If you are at all serious about it long-term, I would encourage you to apply anyway.  Just explain your situation and they might be willing to hire you on and then bump you up in pay once you're licensed.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2